Attapulgite cat litter

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Jordy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#BF0040]Acer Platanoides[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color]Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Re: Attapulgite cat litter

Post by Jordy »

Bretts wrote:I have also started to consider cooking it in the oven to harden a little more it is a clay ;)
Wow, I'd never thought of that one bretts!

Tell me if it works, you would think it would improve its performance ?
well prolong its life pre-sludge anyway.
Pet hate = being called Jordan. Please, its a Y! not an A! I know its pedantic... but hey, thats me! :D Jordy!
Nereus
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Nereus »

I have also tried the "home brand" type cat litter - it was awful if you ask me, it went to mush really quickly. Pretty much killed a healthy radiata pine.
teejay
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society, APAB Study Group

Post by teejay »

the dust is not to be inhaled, because it is possible for potentially harmful micro-organisms (for people anyway)
If you're talking in relation to cat-litter ingredients, diatomite is the real danger when it comes to inhalation. Diatomaceous dust is thought to be (takes a looooong time to prove these things) a carcinogen, and definately not something you want to breath in. The particles are extremely abrasive. I use it at work as a filter aid and we fully kit up when using it, respirator etc... Maidenwell is fired though and less dusty, but I'd still make sure you're not breathing it in.

It's danger goes way past the usual 'organic matter' problem though.
I really do wish they'd hurry up and grow.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Nereus wrote:I have also tried the "home brand" type cat litter - it was awful if you ask me, it went to mush really quickly. Pretty much killed a healthy radiata pine.
This is not home brand cat litter it is chandlers attapulgite clay kitty litter! You should have checked the stuff did not go to mush before you used it.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

Nereus wrote:I have also tried the "home brand" type cat litter - it was awful if you ask me, it went to mush really quickly. Pretty much killed a healthy radiata pine.
It's pretty important to test anything like that to make sure it won't go to mush (I too know this from personal experience... bought the wrong kitty litter initially!).

The "Chandler" attapulgite kitty litter is fine and does not go to mush. I test it by mixing a handful thoroughly in water. I then allowed it to sit on the deck in the water to see how it would go over time. The water completed disappeared eventually and I was left with the kitty litter basically as it was when I first got it out of the bag. No mushiness at all!

I still sift it before I use it though, just to make sure all the dust is out so that doesn't go mucky.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
fat496
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifer
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by fat496 »

Jordy wrote:
Bretts wrote:I have also started to consider cooking it in the oven to harden a little more it is a clay ;)
Wow, I'd never thought of that one bretts!

Tell me if it works, you would think it would improve its performance ?
well prolong its life pre-sludge anyway.
Not entirely sure, but i believe it would have to be cooked at over 600deg/c for it to be of any benefit? By all means have a go, don't quote me on this, but i thought i'd read that somewhere. If you have one of those new pyrolytic ovens on the other hand... :D i think they go to1500deg/c in cleaning mode :lol:
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Petra, there is no doubt that the Attapulgite kitty litter you speak of is absorbent but the stuff breaks down very quickly into sludge when used as a bonsai soil, often inside of a single season.
There will no doubt be people that swear by it, I have had the displeasure of using it in a trial and have personally seen the damage it has caused to a couple clients trees.

This product is designed to soak up cats piss for god sake!!
It is very inconsistent in hardness from one bag to the next. I'm fairly sure that pH stability wasn't very high on Chanlers agenda either!
It's evil stuff :evil: , almost as bad as water saving crystals, instant root rot in a bag.

You get the point, I hope!

I have been using Diatomite for ages, yes it is more expensive but it is brilliant, does not break down and is easily re-usable if you use it straight.

Somebody mentioned Bentonite, this is often used to used to repair leaking dams. So unless you are growing Mangroves....... :D

Cheers MM
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

It's funny how it works for me :lol:

I am sure this stuff breaks down eventually but it has just not been an issue for me. Just like akadama(wich some people say they have trouble with) it is not robust stuff when wet but unless it is crushed it holds it form well even when constantly wet.
Measured a bag today and found a 5kg bag was about 7 1/2 litres. Sifted into 3 grades I found 1L fines 3 1/2L medium and 3L large the fines had practically no dust and was very usable. I would not guarantee this with every bag.

Lets make sure we are talking about the same stuff ;)
chan.jpg
Fines
chan2.jpg
Medium
chan3.jpg
Large
chan4.jpg
A little pine that can be repotted
chan5.jpg
The pine in 100% Chandlers kitty litter fines and medium and the three grades soaking in water. Lets see how long it lasts.
chan6.jpg
I have never used it 100% before but I think that will be the best way to see it's attributes and downfalls. I will also make a mix of how I have used it in the past when I get a chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on September 29th, 2009, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Been a while since I used this stuff and wanted to change what I said a bit. This stuff has been soaking in water for over 12 hours and is just as strong as when it was dry. Can be split with the fingernails but not crushed by the fingers. I would say it is more robust than akadama so far.
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

Brett, that's definitely the same stuff I have. You can see in my last blog post how I used it 50/50 with some Amgrow Bonsai Potting Mix.

I'll be very interested to see how your little experiment goes! :D
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Mojo Moyogi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Elm, Hornbeam, Pine, Larch and Cedar
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by Mojo Moyogi »

Hmm.......Getting away from the whole is it great/is it crap debate...it appears in my last post I made an error :oops:

Maidenwell Diatomite costs $21 for 40 litres, of which 2 litres would be fines, So for the purpose of making bonsai growing media, you would be left with 38 usable litres and 2 litres that you could plant cuttings in.

$21 divided by 38 litres gives you a price of 55 cents per litre.

Chandlers Kitty litter costs $4.50 for 7.5 litres, 6.5 litres of this can be used as bonsai soil.

$4.50 divided by 6.5 litres gives you a cost per litre of 69 cents.

Making Maidenwell Diatomite, a scientifically proven pH stable and re-usable plant growing media, significantly CHEAPER than Chandlers Kitty Litter...... :shock:

So you could save a few bucks and let Mr Jinx go poopsies in Maidenwell Diatomite :D.... and not snuff your pine ;)

MM
...Might as well face it, I'm addicted to Shohin...

"Any creative work can be roughly broken down into three components- design, technique and materials. Good design can carry poor technique and materials but no amount of expertise and beautiful materials can save poor design". Andrew McPherson - Furniture designer and artist
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I just went by the total volume but still found much the same. 40L of Chandlers would cost about $24 if bought when on special or about $26 normal price.
I found the fines very dust free(a selling point of the product) and very usable for various applications anyway.
You could also get Diatomite at $8 a bag if you buy a pallet load ;)

Remember I said
When it comes to soil some points are cost availability and usefulness. Chandlers kitty litter rates very high on availability and although when compared with the cost of other mediums in larger volumes it may not compare taking cost into account but on a small scale or small projects it often fits into the budget very well.
Although in the 40L bag Diatomite does work out a bit cheaper Being able to buy chandlers in small quantities at a very reasonable price at any woolworths store is a very big plus to this medium. Especially out here in the west where it is a long way for me to go to get anything else. Off course that is not much use if it does not work ;) I have never analyzed the stuff that hard I just found it worked well for me but as I stated I was repotting every year or so. I just don't understand why you found issues with it.
As far as I can tell the worst I got was after 3 years I found that chandlers on the surface may have become softer but by this time the soils structure is held by the roots as a good soils structure should and it was causing me no issues.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

I think you hit it there brett when you mention that Chandlers can be got at ANY woolies store.

Diatomite is better I think but not by much, and if you have to travel to Sydney or Melb from the bush or regional centres to get it then it loses its advantage.
If it not available readily then it is no use as a soil component no matter how good.

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Deemon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Can't Decide
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by Deemon »

Ok, i've heard enough. (read) ;)

I've got Akadama.

But this thread has me interested in Chandlers.

My Curious behind will stop at woolies on the way home to purchase and test some of this poo soaker.
Clever got me this far, Then Tricky got me in.

Regards Deemon
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

I just want to say that one bag must differ from another. Mine was crap, and i will never buy it again. Brett has had success. We are both right.

I will buy maidenwell in the future for sure. I love the stuff.

JayC

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”