Attapulgite cat litter

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Jordy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#BF0040]Acer Platanoides[/color]
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color]Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Re: Attapulgite cat litter

Post by Jordy »

OK! can i get everyone to post in this thread if they have used chandler's Cat Litter
in their soil mix. and list these things:
  • A - Did it work for you! pleased? displeased?
  • B - What type of fertilisers were you using?
  • C - What was the mix of Loam/Spaghnum/Sharp Sand/Other you were using with it.
I want to know if any of these have effects on whether it would work for you, or go to sludge.
this way we CAN determine if using chandlers cat litter, we get bad and good batches,
:P

Jordy
Pet hate = being called Jordan. Please, its a Y! not an A! I know its pedantic... but hey, thats me! :D Jordy!
buddaboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Flowering Apricot, Bougainvillea

Post by buddaboy »

I just bought a bag while shopping Today. Ill try it out on one of me sacrifice trees.
I am the black sheep of the Bonsai world.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hey Jay C can you explain what you mean by Crap?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Whats wrong with debco's bonsai mix? Add some more zeolite (or diatomite how ever you spell it......) and a small handful of slow release firt and your good to go.
Last edited by Asus101 on September 30th, 2009, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
buddaboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Flowering Apricot, Bougainvillea

Post by buddaboy »

Ive tried Debco, but I found that Searles Bonsai mix to flow the water through better.
I am the black sheep of the Bonsai world.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

buddaboy wrote:Ive tried Debco, but I found that Searles Bonsai mix to flow the water through better.

i agree on that one mate :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

Asus101 wrote:Whats wrong with debco's bonsai mix? Add some more zeolite (or diatomite how ever you spell it......) and a small handful of slow release firt and your good to go.
I guess the whole conversation is basically whether attapulgite is a good substitue for the zeolite or diatomite ;)
JayC wrote:I just want to say that one bag must differ from another. Mine was crap, and i will never buy it again. Brett has had success. We are both right.
I'm sure it would be possible to get a bad batch of anything that's been mentioned so far. Also, as Jordy suggests, possibly the particular fertisliser or something else you use had a negative effect on the attapulgite? There's more than one variable involved in this Bonsai business :D

I've not had a problem with it yet. My Chinese Elm seems to be doing quite well in my mix.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
IS2SXC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azeleas
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by IS2SXC »

Jordy wrote:OK! can i get everyone to post in this thread if they have used chandler's Cat Litter
in their soil mix. and list these things:
  • A - Did it work for you! pleased? displeased?
  • B - What type of fertilisers were you using?
  • C - What was the mix of Loam/Spaghnum/Sharp Sand/Other you were using with it.
I want to know if any of these have effects on whether it would work for you, or go to sludge.
this way we CAN determine if using chandlers cat litter, we get bad and good batches,
:P

Jordy
i not a bonsai master but i like to experiment so i hope this helps :D

i have used the chandlers brand of cat litter before for my collected privet stumps

A- yes it work great i was very pleased as the 2 privets i used it with sprouted out heaps more than the others and also twice as many fine roots
B-seasol and osmocote
C-50/40/10 premium potting mix ,catlitter,grit
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

I realised I have two trees that have been growing in a Chandlers part mix which are now in thier second year. Both are going real well this year. I wish the batteries hadn't gone flat on the camera before I trimmed the amur back as it was only after I cut back all the foliage and could see the soil again that I realised it was in a chandlers mix. If you dig into the soil you can find alot of fine clay but I can't remember if I sifted or not? The larger particles are still sound.
The test ones soaking in water(see above) are still sound and the little pine in 100% chandlers is also going great.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Here is one of the trees that is on it's second year in chandlers mix. I was given this by a friend and when I repotted last year I found the roots to be lacking so I potted up in this well draining orchid pot and secured it well. It grew ok but I remember being a little disapointed that once it leafed out it stalled for the rest of the season. I guess the roots have come back strong as it is going 100% better this season ;)
I got this tree on the weekend that a very good friend died so I plan on keeping it lanky like he was in memory. I might wait till next season when i can get a good look at the trunk and branching before I start to style it.
elm.jpg
elm2.jpg
I remember making a mix of bark, coir bark, zeolite and chandlers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on October 15th, 2009, 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Bretts wrote:Hey Jay C can you explain what you mean by Crap?
Sorry Brett, only just read this now :oops:

Crap is a very subjective term. However, i meant "crap" in a comparison to other products. I have used 2 different diatomite's, zeolite (yes i know, has a different purpose as well), aquatic plant mix, Washed Sydney sand, coarse river sand, scoria, and am now playing around with akadama. So far, i would put this stuff at the bottom of the list. In my opinion, the other products out there do the job much better.

What do i mean by better? None of the other products became compacted like the attapulgite. None of the other products required as much time to re-wet. I believe all of the other products allowed more air to get to the roots, as MY SAMPLE of attapulgite crumbled to fine white dust within a year. Note that the test trees were succulents (Crassula species) and like it dryer than most bonsai. This may have something to do with it, but i still would not chose this product over the others that are available.

I agree that you could just as easily have problems with the other products quality, but i have not heard about problems with the other products from people on here, or experienced them myself. Where as i have experienced problems with this product only. Try it people! I would love to be proved wrong (as Brett is doing to me right now), as this product is widely available, and a relatively cheap alternative to other inorganics.

By the way...... All of the products i have mentioned i have tried ON THEIR OWN, without any other ingredients added. Sure products act differently in mixes, but i tested the products straight so that i was easily able to determine what they were doing.

Also, i am one of the nutty ones who believe that soil must "allow sufficient air water and nutrients to reach the roots within the soil", and thus a tree can survive in marbles if conditions are right. Do i need to get the marbles out? I don't believe that attapulgite allows sufficient air, or even water, to access the roots when it has compacted as mine did.

JayC
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Post by Petra »

JayC wrote:
Bretts wrote:Hey Jay C can you explain what you mean by Crap?
Sorry Brett, only just read this now :oops:

Also, i am one of the nutty ones who believe that soil must "allow sufficient air water and nutrients to reach the roots within the soil", and thus a tree can survive in marbles if conditions are right. Do i need to get the marbles out? I don't believe that attapulgite allows sufficient air, or even water, to access the roots when it has compacted as mine did.

JayC
There is small, med and large attapulgites in the cat litters and i think the larger one is the best.But its a lottery, you dont know whats in the next batch .Maybe there is a way to sift the larger chunks out. But i havnt had any problems with it so far.
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
mikem
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Whatever I can^t kill
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by mikem »

I have followed this thread with interest.I have heard many good things,written across numerous fora,about cat litter as an substrate for bonsai cultivation.While my overall experience with "inert' media is limited, for the price,I found Chandlers somewhat expensive.Consequently,I purchased and conducted a few preliminary tests with Coles "Smart Buy' 100% clay cat litter. The product presents as an particulate,cream coloured material comprising dust,fines,and roughly two (50% each),larger particles. Over an three week testing,I placed an handfull of this into an Pyrex jug with tap water.This was brought to boiling four times (microwave),and alternatively frozen twice (-18 C). Results? Fines could be crushed with minimal digital pressure.Larger particles remained strongly intact. Ph at all times was neutral. Preliminary conclusions seem to suggest that the Coles product may be satisfactory,especially as it is only one third the price of Chandlers
IS2SXC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: azeleas
Bonsai Club: 0

Post by IS2SXC »

mikem wrote:I have followed this thread with interest.I have heard many good things,written across numerous fora,about cat litter as an substrate for bonsai cultivation.While my overall experience with "inert' media is limited, for the price,I found Chandlers somewhat expensive.Consequently,I purchased and conducted a few preliminary tests with Coles "Smart Buy' 100% clay cat litter. The product presents as an particulate,cream coloured material comprising dust,fines,and roughly two (50% each),larger particles. Over an three week testing,I placed an handfull of this into an Pyrex jug with tap water.This was brought to boiling four times (microwave),and alternatively frozen twice (-18 C). Results? Fines could be crushed with minimal digital pressure.Larger particles remained strongly intact. Ph at all times was neutral. Preliminary conclusions seem to suggest that the Coles product may be satisfactory,especially as it is only one third the price of Chandlers

how interesting thanks for the heads up i might buy a bag and test it out ;)

right now im using aquagrow since i heard it on this forum but yesterday after watering i picked up a piece and squeezed it between my fingers and it just crumbled
IS THIS BAD?????
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

what is aquagrow?

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”