Superthrive Vs. Seasol

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.

What do you use?

Superthrive
3%
Superthrive
3%
Seasol
27%
Seasol
27%
Both
12%
Both
12%
Neither
8%
Neither
8%

Total votes: 102

MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Superthrive Vs. Seasol

Post by MelaQuin »

I have just purchased SuperThrive for a collected plant that SeaSol does not seem to be helping. The instructions say 2-3 drops to a large cup [which I am presuming to be USA 8 oz. 2-3 drops in 8 oz and 1 drop in a litre is one hell of a differnce. Can you please confirm 1 drop to 1 litre....
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

MelaQuin wrote:I have just purchased SuperThrive for a collected plant that SeaSol does not seem to be helping. The instructions say 2-3 drops to a large cup [which I am presuming to be USA 8 oz. 2-3 drops in 8 oz and 1 drop in a litre is one hell of a differnce. Can you please confirm 1 drop to 1 litre....
If you are just watering the plant to help it along, use 4 to 6 drops per 4 litre. Thats what i have used in the past and it has been ok. But i too am dubious as to is usefulnes/effectiveness.
Peter
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

MelaQuin wrote:I have just purchased SuperThrive for a collected plant that SeaSol does not seem to be helping. The instructions say 2-3 drops to a large cup [which I am presuming to be USA 8 oz. 2-3 drops in 8 oz and 1 drop in a litre is one hell of a differnce. Can you please confirm 1 drop to 1 litre....
When I use it the first time 5 drops per litre. Then drop it to 4 and so on till I am using 1 drop per litre.
MelaQuin I have a problem I am running out!, and I am having trouble finding it here in the West.
Could you please tell me where you get yours? Or for that matter any body else that uses it.
Thank you in advance Pup :)
Last edited by Pup on February 24th, 2009, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Pup wrote:
When I use it the first time 5 drops per litre. Then drop it to 4 and so on till I am using 1 drop per litre.
MelaQuin I have a problem I am running out!, and I am having trouble finding it here in the West.
Could you please tell me where you get yours? Or for that matter any body else that uses it.
Thank you in advance Pup :)
Bonsaisouth carry it Pup, i am sure if you send them an email they could pop some in the post for you. info@bonsaisouth.com.au
Regards
Peter
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Hi Lee,

As stated on the back of the bottle
SUPERthrive wrote:Quantities
1/4 teaspoon (1ml.) per gallon (4 liters)
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

By Brian
It was my intent to do a simple experiment to test one of the many outrageous claims made on the Superthrive labels.
By Brian
I decided to focus on two label claims for ST. In the first, the ST label claims in provides a significant improvement in growth for transplanted seedlings. In the second, it claims that it improves propagation. I chose to interpret that as improving the process of taking cuttings.
Your experiment does not stand up to this either.

The only claim I can see on the label about seedlings.
5. SEEDLINGS
TO PLANT THEM ALL SAFELY,
UNIFORMLY - and
GROWING MORE STRONGLY.

There is nothing here that states you will see this as obvious growth in the crown after one month. How does your experiment stack up to tests that measure and weigh top and root growth that has shown results. In fact in the time period you are stating there is reduced growth of the crown while it exerts all energy to the roots which you did not measure. This could equate to the more green healthy look that some claimed your superthrive batch had.

I found no claim to propagation improvement except for seeds which is again a proven fact. Although as auxin is the same hormone used in rooting hormone but at a much weaker level I do believe it will help this again would be present as added root growth and less crown growth in the short term.
I have no idea if ST contains auxins, or anything else for that matter.
It's on the gallon label. I would think anyone claiming scientific background would research before an experiment. Sorry but you have put your procedures and results out for analysis.
But then again, I don't was not trying to provide support for ST's marketing claims. I wanted to know if it made any difference in my plant growth practices.
That's a bet each way now? Where you testing the claims on the label or whether superthrive would work the way you wanted it too?
Your comment here and elsewhere do indeed border on religion. Please feel free to use auxins or ST if you wish. Please feel free to ignore my modest attempts at checking ST claims. I will not use it.
If a religion had as many facts backing it as Auxin does I would be sure to give it a go. :lol:
I have always gained much knowledge from discussions I have had about Auxin and Superthrive and discovered an insight into the type of people I have conversed with on the forums.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

BrianBay9 wrote:It was not my intent to test the effects of auxins on stressed trees. It was my intent to do a simple experiment to test one of the many outrageous claims made on the Superthrive labels. I have no idea if ST contains auxins, or anything else for that matter. It does not list its contents, but does claim it "works best when extra fertilizer is combined" with it. For all I know, the stuff is slightly smelly water. The experiment was simple, using the materials available to me. If I had time, money and a lab available I could have done a much more thorough job. But then again, I don't was not trying to provide support for ST's marketing claims. I wanted to know if it made any difference in my plant growth practices.

Your comment here and elsewhere do indeed border on religion. Please feel free to use auxins or ST if you wish. Please feel free to ignore my modest attempts at checking ST claims. I will not use it.

Brian

I enjoyed reading and learning a little about your experiment Brian and i thank you for your time and effort. Not everybody is prepared to give up their spare time for the good of others like that, well done.
Regards
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Did you learn about the experiment or from the experiment Peter?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:Did you learn about the experiment or from the experiment Peter?
Your question is requesting that i "pick a side" Brett. I am not interested that.
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

No I am simply wondering if you learnt anything from Brians experiment and if so what did you learn. I am not about sides here only the facts.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

I learnt that i can save money by not buying anymore ST after i have finished the bottle i have.
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Oh so professional experimets like this mean nothing?

Enhanced Seedling Root Development in Eight Conifer Species Induced by Naphthalene Acetic Acid
D. A. SEABY and C. SELBY
Department of Agriculture Newforge Lane, Belfast, BT9 5PX, Northern Ireland

Seedlings of eight conifer species, Pinus contorta, Pinus sylvestris, Pinus nigra, Larix kaempferi, Picea abies, Picea sitchensis, Pseudotsuga, nenziesii and Abies grandis, were treated with auxin, in pot and nursery experiments. Dilute solutions of naphthalene acetic acid (NAA) were applied at two treatment times, just before and just after cotyledon expansion. Lateral root numbers were increased by up to 20 times on responsive species. Sensitivity varied considerably, the three pine species showing a much greater response than the two species of spruce. In most cases the mean number of induced roots increased steadily with increasing auxin concentration. Forest nursery results showed that NAA could provide an inexpensive method for stimulating lateral root formation near the soil surface. Practical nursery aspects of treatment are briefly discussed.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:Oh so professional experimets like this mean nothing?

Not to me they dont Brett. I am to busy having fun growing my trees and observing how healthy and happy they are to be bothered with science.
Peter
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Bonsai vs science, the next great debate....
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Not to me they dont Brett. I am to busy having fun growing my trees and observing how healthy and happy they are to be bothered with science.
Peter
So how did you learn from Brians experiment because it wasn't science?

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”