Attapulgite cat litter

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Australian Natives
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: NIL

Attapulgite cat litter

Post by Petra »

hi guys, saw at the supermarket cat litter that say's 100 o/o natural attapulgite clay granuels. Does any one know what it is, and is this the cat litter that some of the aus bonsaists use :?:
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Re: Attapulgite cat litter

Post by Japh »

Petra wrote:hi guys, saw at the supermarket cat litter that say's 100 o/o natural attapulgite clay granuels. Does any one know what it is, and is this the cat litter that some of the aus bonsaists use :?:
I assume it was the "Chandler" cat litter? Red paper bag? That's what Brett uses I think, and it's what I've used in my grow box for my Chinese Elm.

I did a water test to see if it would be ok, and it didn't go claggy at all or break down. I also sieved it to remove the dust particles before mixing it with my soil.

My Chinese Elm has been quite happy in it, and is continuing to leaf out, despite the abuse I inflicted on it more recently.
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

I've wondered the same. I have seen that Safeway's generic brand cat litter is made of the same stuff. I saw another brand with added zeolite but was expensive.

Brett or anyone else who has used cat litter, let us know of your findings.

I've been using blue metal. It's great, but way too heavy for a tree in a large pot.

Thanks guys
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

what is the cost per bag and how much in the bag?

Diatomite is about $20 / 35L bag
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Japh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color][color=#008000]Bonsai[/color], BSoST

Post by Japh »

kcpoole wrote:what is the cost per bag and how much in the bag?

Diatomite is about $20 / 35L bag
The bag I have is a 5L bag, and cost a few cents over $4.00

I don't know where to get Diatomite down here in Tassie though (if I even can...)
Posting on my journey into bonsai - http://www.potensai.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*New*: Software for managing your Bonsai collection - http://bonsaidb.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Currently in development, sign-up for updates)

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

It's ok.

After about two years, it cakes up and goes hard. It is still easy to wet, but particle size does seem to get smaller. However, the stuff i started with did seem to be a lot softer than what Brett has been describing. Perhaps there is great variation or poor quality control. Either way, there is better products out there.

A small test of aquatic soil mix (which i also found via Bretts advice) has proven to be a FAR greater product IMO. This stuff has a nicer colour (especially when wet), is harder and contains less fines. Also, there is diatomite, which looks to be the cheapest and the best so far, though the aquatic mix is not far behind. . . . and its a lot easier to obtain. Check your local hardware stores for it.

JayC
Jordy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#BF0040]Acer Platanoides[/color]
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color]Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by Jordy »

I also use Attapulgite cat litter in my soil, no problems yet! :D
Pet hate = being called Jordan. Please, its a Y! not an A! I know its pedantic... but hey, thats me! :D Jordy!
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Petra »

The cat litter comes from woolworths home brand . It comes in a 6 litre bag and is around $3.60 or so. It says highly absorbent. Its also a red and white bag. I beleive someone had sugested not to inhale the dust for some reason or another. It does say on the bag gloves should be worn when handling, particulary by expecting mums and people with suppressed immune systems. What is it , is it harmful over a period of long use. :?:
Learn from yesterday,live for today,hope for tomorrow.The important thing is, to not stop questioning. Albert Einstein...
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Petra wrote:The cat litter comes from woolworths home brand . It comes in a 6 litre bag and is around $3.60 or so. It says highly absorbent. Its also a red and white bag. I beleive someone had sugested not to inhale the dust for some reason or another. It does say on the bag gloves should be worn when handling, particulary by expecting mums and people with suppressed immune systems. What is it , is it harmful over a period of long use. :?:

There in is the answer HIGHLY absorbent. Tree's all tree's have to dry out some.
When I did some experimentation. It broke down too quick for my liking.
Became sludge after 6 month's. Just a personal experience. :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jordy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: [color=#BF0040]Acer Platanoides[/color]
Bonsai Club: [color=#FFBF00]Aus[/color]Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by Jordy »

Petra wrote:The cat litter comes from woolworths home brand . It comes in a 6 litre bag and is around $3.60 or so. It says highly absorbent. Its also a red and white bag. I beleive someone had sugested not to inhale the dust for some reason or another. It does say on the b can ag gloves should be worn when handling, particulary by expecting mums and people with suppressed immune systems. What is it , is it harmful over a period of long use. :?:
the dust is not to be inhaled, because it is possible for potentially harmful micro-organisms (for people anyway)

and the disclaimer for pregnant people and suppressed immune systems, is in regard to a parasite found in cat faeces (yes, poo) that can cause toxoplasmosis. it has nothing to do with harmful diseases or mites for plants :D

I hope this clears it up for you!
Pet hate = being called Jordan. Please, its a Y! not an A! I know its pedantic... but hey, thats me! :D Jordy!
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Since it was on special $4.50 I bought another bag the other day. When it comes to soil some points are cost availability and usefulness. Chandlers kitty litter rates very high on availability and although when compared with the cost of other mediums in larger volumes it may not compare taking cost into account but on a small scale or small projects it often fits into the budget very well. I believe I read it is a 5L bag mine is 5kg so I have not worked out how to compare to the maidenwell litre. I have used it for a few years at about 1/3 ratio. Since my trees are young they often need repotting but a few trees have gone upto 3 years in this mix but I should use two years as a bench mark. At this time I would find that it had lost it's hardness but I would not be rushing to repot because of this as the soil with roots still had great structure I only needed to repot to give the tree room to move.
I will post pictures of the new packaging the bag has and try a sapling in it 100%. I think this is the best way to test a soil medium and find out it's attributes.
Right now I am winding down after a great weekend :D
As far as toxic goes all the materials we work with are toxic as dust. I believe this stuff is no different.
Oh and I say this stuff does work I use it as stated at about 1/3 with potting mix and grit preferably sifted :D
Last edited by Bretts on September 27th, 2009, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
buddaboy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Flowering Apricot, Bougainvillea

Post by buddaboy »

Ive tried to stay away from 'soil' disscussions as I expect to get told off ;) . I can get Zeolite at my local feed barn, and have tried it to varied success. I read on Gardenweb that 'chicken grit is good, after killing a couple of trees i found out that they were talking about crushed rock, NOT crushed shells. My normal mix is a 50/50 Searls Premium Mix/Searls Cactus Mix. The Cactus mix gives the mix some water flow. I have not started sifting my mixes yet, even though I have a sieve. I cant find any Maidenwell up here, and all the kitty litter ive looked at Ive never seen any say Diatomite. Have been too worried about killing some more trees to experiment further.

BB
I am the black sheep of the Bonsai world.
pasquale
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by pasquale »

JayC wrote:It's ok.

After about two years, it cakes up and goes hard. It is still easy to wet, but particle size does seem to get smaller. JayC
I have had similar experiences with attapulgite. I recently repotted a cottoneaster that had been in a mix of about 20% Chandler's. The tree seemed very happy for 12 months. I found only the larger particles of attapulgite were still identifiable, the smaller bits had broken down &/or caked up.

Some of the generic brand
highly absorbant
cat litter is bentonite, a different type of clay. It turns to sludge straight away.

The health warnings are generally about two things.
1. Inhalation of fine dust particles can potentially cause occupational lung diseases like silicosis. In general you would need to inhale a relatively large amount over an extended period of time. Some dusts are more toxic than others in this regard (think asbestos).
2. Inhalation of microbes can cause infections. These include funguses in organic potting mixes and as Jordy pointed out, toxoplasmosis in cat faeces. In general the risk is greatest for people with reduced immunity or underlying lung disease ( and maternal toxoplasmosis is harmful to babies in the womb).

It is always best to take some precaution when you are going to stir up dust, like when pouring large amounts of mix. At the very least, do it in a well ventilated place. If you know that there is going to be a lot of dust or if you have lung disease already, then wear a mask.
Petra
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Petra »

Thank you to all who applied to this topic, muchly apreciated.It wasnt so much the inhalation i was worried about, it was the fact that it said wear gloves. Also the main question was, what is it, i guess it 's a soft clay base then.Im also pleased to hear someone has trialed and tested it,i needed to know the results for that also. So now i've made up my mind that i wont be using the attapulgite on my bonsais,instesd i may use it for when i grow out my trees. Petra! ;)
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Stay tuned I will show you how this stuff works. I have also started to consider cooking it in the oven to harden a little more it is a clay ;)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”