Portulacaria Afra Fertiliser

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
BonsaiPancake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Portulacaria Afra Fertiliser

Post by BonsaiPancake »

I have a reasonably large trunked P Afra (7-8cm trunk) and I'm keen to get more leaf growth to really fill out the top.

What's the ideal fertiliser and general strategy around really pushing out growth for this guy? I'm watering every 1-2 weeks pending leaf wrinkles, and planning to fertilise during every water.

On hand I have Thrive All Purpose, Thrive Citrus, Maxicrop and Powerfeed as liquid food. As for solids I have Osmocote Fruit/Citrus/Tree/Shrub and generic 4/0.5/3 pellets.

Happy to buy something else if there is a better product for P Afra's, I'm just struggling to find much info on optimal food.

Cheers
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Portulacaria Afra Fertiliser

Post by KIRKY »

Not sure where you are located, temp wise. These are pretty much dormant in Melb over winter like all succulents ensure they drain well as they don’t like wet feet. Liquid feed from Spring thru to start of winter, the power feed you have is fine. If you want you could include something like Osmocote 6-9 month feeder.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
BonsaiPancake
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Re: Portulacaria Afra Fertiliser

Post by BonsaiPancake »

Thanks! Drainage definitely won't be an issue with my pumice/akadama/zeolite mix.

I'm in Sydney and want to take advantage of the grow season as it looks a little sparse with so much trunk compared to the foliage.

Would rotating through a few different liquid fertilisers for each watering help ensure it gets everything it needs, or will Powerfeed alone do the trick?

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”