Verasoil worm castings

Share your ideas on re-potting, potting mediums and fertilisers.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Verasoil worm castings

Post by greg27 »

I saw this pop up in an ad on Facebook: https://verasoil.com.au/ - worm castings, supposedly available in the big green shed at the end of this month. There was a bit of discussion around the usefulness of worm castings a little while ago so thought this might interest a few people.

I've been meaning to set up a worm farm for a while now but this could be a good option until I find spare time.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Verasoil worm castings

Post by greg27 »

I came across this at Bunnings this evening so grabbed a bag to see what's what. I think it was $30 for a 15L bag.
PXL_20210715_104625434.jpg
It's quite fine
PXL_20210715_104718862.jpg
After a run through a fairly fine sieve

I messaged the company a while back and they said it's partly water-soluble and is suitable for making worm tea. They run it through a 4mm screen so there won't be any larger particles than that.

I'm not sure how useful this will be as part of a bonsai soil mix, but I might use it for things in nursery pots and see how they go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

greg27 wrote:I came across this at Bunnings this evening so grabbed a bag to see what's what. I think it was $30 for a 15L bag.
PXL_20210715_104625434.jpg
It's quite fine
PXL_20210715_104718862.jpg
After a run through a fairly fine sieve

I messaged the company a while back and they said it's partly water-soluble and is suitable for making worm tea. They run it through a 4mm screen so there won't be any larger particles than that.

I'm not sure how useful this will be as part of a bonsai soil mix, but I might use it for things in nursery pots and see how they go.
Hey Greg,
I’ve heard worm tea is great as a liquid fert. I’ve got a small worm farm but have never really done much with it in terms of using castings or tea.
It would be interesting though to see the benefit of using worm tea apposed to using a branded liquid fert?
Do you have any experience with worm tea vs other types of liquid ferts?

Cheers,
Mac

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by greg27 »

I haven't had any experience with worm tea / castings before, but there was a bit of discussion a while back about worm castings being beneficial for root development: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28969
Macros
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Elm/Maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Macros »

greg27 wrote:I haven't had any experience with worm tea / castings before, but there was a bit of discussion a while back about worm castings being beneficial for root development: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28969
Thanks Greg,
Interesting. Might have to do some more research

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has it ever made you wonder, who was the first person to say " See that cow..... I'm going to pull on those pink dangelly things....and drink what ever comes out" ?

Return to “Repotting, Soil and Fertilisers”