discussion of bunjingi and its stylings and disciplines

To further our understanding and skills in creating and refining the Literati Bunjin style!
Note: This Contest is already closed

Moderator: Bretts

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

discussion of bunjingi and its stylings and disciplines

Post by Jamie »

hey people :D

as i have noticed we are having some problems with the entry threads getting clogged with general discussion and such of the stylings of bunjingi.

i would of thought our original discussion that lead to the contest be moved to here but it hasnt so i have started a new thread for it :D

in my eyes a bunjingi or literati depending on what you would like to call it as i know others have different opinions on the name and prefer to choose either or both, is a style of free forms that with a greater understanding of the rules/guidelines/ideals of bonsai you can create a naturalistic tree that tells a dramatic, dynamic story.

with many different ways of the style and how it supposedly breaks rules even though it is only using them to the greater advantages of bonsai we have many, many different outcomes of tree designs and principal stylings.

now if this is something like a branch crossing or the tree moving in such a way it is distracting yet mesmerising, how can this be a problem?
i for one havent got the complete ideals of it yet, and would love to get different opinions of everyone, as this is why the contest was started.
so we can have a greater understanding of the style and hopefully everyone learns something from it too. not just the style but bonsai itself, how a tree comes across. displaying the tree to its best, whether the tree has a preffered veiwing angle or if it can be veiwed with equal pleasure from all sides.

hopefully this will spur some discussion on the topic and get the cluttering out of the entries threads.
if people have questions about a certain tree i dont think it will be a problem to save it and post here to show examples of what you would like to discuss. (i havent checked this out yet but dont see it as a problem). i havent stated this so people can nit pick or negativly critisize a tree. it is so people can ask questions on why, how and what to get it to that stage has been done.

i think i have said enough to get things started!

i look forward to the discussions with everyone, especially bretts, pup, stymes, leigh and the likes putting their two cents in aswell. i think everyone will benefit from this :D

kindest regards jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Re: discussion of bunjingi and its stylings and disciplines

Post by stymie »

Greetings to all.
My name is Don. My nickname or pseudonym is Stymie and I'm a bonsaiholic. :P Pause to allow applause to die down. :lol:

By now, you will be aware that Literati is a plural noun, a name given to scholarly beings, wise men and artistic recluses who tried to encapsulate the essence of nature in a simplistic form in ancient China. Their use of terse prose to express an idea was mirrored in their economic use of brush strokes when illustrating nature. The simple suggestion of landscape, animals and trees was made with the minimum of detail and background, almost like writing in shorthand. Later on, their countrymen tried to imitate their simplistic style in the bonsai trees to which they gave their name.
Bonsai was later taken up by Japanese artists and further refined along with the Literati images which they named Bungingi, singular form Bungin. Japanese influence introduced more aesthetic aspects to the simple sketchy Literati images and we must include these in our deliberations rather than being too strict.
The general view of Literati/Bungingi seems to dictate that the lower two thirds of a tree trunk should be without significant branches and foliage. Absence of significant taper is quite usual. A natural shape taken by older Pines which have lost their low branches. Pinus varieties are therefore obvious subjects for the style. This does not preclude other trees in both evergreen and deciduous varieties. It just makes the transition a little more difficult. Rigid rules are often flouted to achieve a 'different' look. Crossing and dropped branches are acceptable but the general appearance should remain sparse to emulate the frugal brush strokes of the early artists, who could be described as 'impressionists'. The final result should always look like a believeable tree.
One or two examples of Literati/Bungingi will be appended for inspiration. Regards =Don.
literati 019.jpg
literati 020 - Copy.jpg
literati 005 - Copy.jpg
literati 038 - Copy.jpg
literati 046.jpg
literati 053.jpg

PS The general impression of this being a feminine style is not rigid as will be seen. The choice of a comparatively small pot, usually round, is mostly compatible with holding just the top third of the tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stymie on November 6th, 2009, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

very well said don :D this is good, it gives us a bit of history and insight to the style :D
as it is shown in the paintings the minimalistic stylings of bunjin are mimic'd.

i love the examples you have put up. all of which are literati yet all have and show the differences in the free form of the style.
does this break the rules? or bend them? or show a greater understanding that allows the artist of the tree to show a completely natural, convincing tree in a miniture form, i think so.
thanks for getting us started on it to mate :D its a good way to start.
i am surprised there hasnt been more questions on the style from people that are into it but havent got the understanding like myself. but on that note i am quite easy to look over minor blemishes or even see them as features. which i beleive gives the bunjin style its charisma and appeal :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Well stated Don.
I am sure there are those than understand what is now required there are many examples to look at and get inspiration from.

So if there are any questions on the STYLE please put them here.
Please leave the posters thread free for ideas or to answer there questions not yours.
Thank you for your cooperation it will certainly make Don Leigh and my Job easier.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

Pup wrote:
So if there are any questions on the STYLE please put them here.

Cheers ;) Pup

this is why i started this thread! thank you for the support pup, don and leigh(when you get in on it, we know you are very busy, like the other judges too :D)

so a big thank you in advance to these three who have donated their time to help with this.

now as for questions, i actually have one.

bunjin defines a free form of style, yes? is it a necessity to have kinks, curves and bends in the trunk or will straightness in a trunk be/is acceptable?

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

jamie111 wrote:
Pup wrote:
now as for questions, i actually have one.

bunjin defines a free form of style, yes? is it a necessity to have kinks, curves and bends in the trunk or will straightness in a trunk be/is acceptable?

No as I have stated the origins of the style comes from what the scholars saw when they took there walks. When you look at the early drawings you see trees that were tall and slender. Then imagine a tree in a forrest clearing. The first thing it does is grow up as quick as possible so it can then leaf out at the top so yes you can have a straight trunk.

In Bunjingi ( Literati ) you can have all the configurations of the all the styles of Bonsai. The style Is Bunjingi though. Nothing to embelish in saying cascade or windswept.

OK cheers ;) Pup

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

ok this has answered my question, but i think i understand where stymie was getting at now with your explanation in my second new stock entry.

the straight section of trunk although straight did have subtle curves at a couple of points, what stymie was saying is to try and continue this subtlety. correct?

and i think i will have to delve into the history of bunjingi a little more to get a great understanding.

thanks for clearing this up :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

jamie111 wrote:ok this has answered my question, but i think i understand where stymie was getting at now with your explanation in my second new stock entry.

the straight section of trunk although straight did have subtle curves at a couple of points, what stymie was saying is to try and continue this subtlety. correct?

and i think i will have to delve into the history of bunjingi a little more to get a great understanding.

thanks for clearing this up :D

That is what I believe Don was trying to say. Exaggerated movement is fine if the rest of the tree fit that. Subtle movement if the tree is subtle in movement.

Just to clarify what Don leigh and I have agreed is the the style is it.
This style does encompass all other styles of Bonsai. Because of its nature it is referred to as either Bunjingi my preferred, or Literati.
There are examples in the Books of Authors that refer to it as formal upright, slanting, windswept, cascade.
These are teaching books therefore the Author feels the need to explain to the reader.
The exercise here is to teach as best we can how you can attain what. The (Master's western Idea ) Sensei say is what the meaning of Bonsai is.

Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

sorry for the late reply, i just remembered about this reading another topic :oops: :roll: :D

so basically the amount of foliage i have left on the chinesis entry isnt an issue, it just needs some more subtle movement? because i was hoping for the foliage to fill out nicely but not look top heavy either. i know it is a delicate balence and something quite hard to acheive but this is why my choice of tree was this. i wanted a challenge with something i could learn off.

not just wire up with the basic routine things etc. etc. and have a bunjin. i want to be able to learn of this tree as much as i want the tree to be convincing :D

ps. i am not as phased about having a finished tree at the end of the year as i am learning about the style. i know the two trees i selected will not be any where near close to show quality, but it will give me alot of practice and allow me to learn more stuff :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

'John Naka on Bunjin - Gi - Bunjin Style,' John Naka wrote:

Characteristics of Bunjin Style

1. It has shape or form but there is no definite pattern

2. It has no pattern, it is irregular and seems disfigured.

3. In Japanese way, they are able to just drink and enjoy tea very casually with just Yakuta Kimono on. Not to use silverware and linen napkin in a more sophisticated manner.

4. It is like food that has no taste at the beginning but the more you chew the more flavor comes out. When you first look at bunjin style there is nothing exciting about it, it is so skimpy and lonely. But the more you observe it the more the tree quality and natural traits will come out. You will feel something from inside of your mind, and not only through the surface eyes.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

that gives me some inspiration to work on myonly entry left, i think i need to let it grow out a lot more to have the foliage to work with though !

that gives more of an idea to bujin than i have seen before aswell brett. is there any more?
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Good point Jamie. The rest of the article is available I just forgot to look for it. I was loving the suggestion of Bunjin being food that got tastier as you chewed I forgot to look for the rest.
Michelle Dougherty got permission to reprint it here
http://bunjinjournal.com/2009/05/21/joh ... style.aspx
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

THIS Competition has now been running for SIX months we have had some updates and also some losses. May be the MODS can delete those now :!: .

I would also like to see some UPDATES on the survivors, to see what progress has been made, so we are not left with a suden flurry which will not do.

The trees the owners or most of all the Judges any good.

So please Guys lets see them,and it might give the singalong some more to sing about. :lol: :roll:

Cheers :D Pup

stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

The competition threads are still rather quiet. Along with Pup. I hope that we don't just have a flurry of action as the closing date draws near. What would help the judges would be two photos in the last post from each contestant; the one taken at the outset before work and a final up to date shot after work. Pretty please. =Don.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

No pretty please from me. Get ya bloody fingers out and lets have a look, at what we are going to be saying Oh yes or Oh shari to.

Cheers :roll: :lol: Pup

Return to “AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009”