Creating a bit of Literati age....in a hurry

To further our understanding and skills in creating and refining the Literati Bunjin style!
Note: This Contest is already closed

Moderator: Bretts

bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Creating a bit of Literati age....in a hurry

Post by bodhidharma »

Hi all. As i am not entering this tree i have set it up as an example to help out some new people with not as much expertise as others. It started out as a bush,as most of them do( and i dont have initial photos) but the progression took place over a short couple of months. I think ( and hope) you can see what can be done with a bit of study and know how. Having a picture in mind is first and foremost but with this tree i have made plenty of mistakes. Who has not cut of a branch and then gone, sh#* i could have used them for jins. Well this can solve the problem. The jins were created off the tree after having found some suitable material. All you have to do is drill the holes in the right place and at the right angle and then using a non toxic P.V.A glue insert them into the hole. The tree accepts the process and starts to heal itself around the new jin. I hope that will help people in the contest to create that tree which will knock peoples socks of. I will be glad to field any questions you might have to help you along the Bonsai path.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Re: Creating a bit of Literati age....in a hurry

Post by stymie »

A nice illustration of a useful technique Bod.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

For those that are interested in this technique, that Bodhi has past on it is acceptable as it is not a Tanuki ( phoenix graft ). It is done in many instances where it is deemed necessary for design purposes. With one proviso it is not over done. As in all jin and Shari work, to much or inappropriate will lose you points.

Thank you for showing Bohdi, as Don has said.

Cheers ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Thank you Gentlemen, I hope it assists people new to our art to have a go and discover new techniques that can further their knowledge. Again, any assistance i can give to not so experienced people is gladly offered.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
paddles
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: a live tree
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by paddles »

Bodi, could we have some more information on this technique please, for instance, should the new wood be from the same type of tree? can you do a longer graft? etc
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

paddles wrote:Bodi, could we have some more information on this technique please, for instance, should the new wood be from the same type of tree? can you do a longer graft? etc

I will be happy to elaborate a little more Paddles. I will need to do this tonight as i am off to Ballarat now
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hey Bodi hope you don't Mind. I thought a mention of wrapping the trunk in spagnam moss to age the bark might be a good tip here for creating age quickly also.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009”