Hard Pruning Pines

To further our understanding and skills in creating and refining the Literati Bunjin style!
Note: This Contest is already closed

Moderator: Bretts

Makkanan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Yarra Valley & BSV

Re: Hard Pruning Pines

Post by Makkanan »

Like Jarrod said, most has been said above...and very useful information-- thanks. I've noted that another factor in survival/recovery rate has to do with (as tinto suggested) the roots as well. It seems to me that the different varieties have varying threshholds: a mugo which has had its roots pruned recently has a far less chance of surviving than a jbp undergoing a branch prune of similar severity with a parallel recent root disturbance. In a slate of most to least sensitive to branch prune with respect to root disturbance would be: WP, mugo, radiata, jbp..... but I'm FAR from a pine expert....it's just based on observation and (alas) post-mortems. ( I have a wp on its own roots and am so paranoid about it I'll probably never prune a branch!) So I guess all I'm adding here is that in addition to age, overall tree health, and location of branch to be pruned, I'd add the criterion of looking at where the tree is roots-wise. Has it been root pruned in the last two years? Is it in desperate need of repot? Those factors can be added to the DO OR DON'T mix.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

The balancing of supply and demand as one does when removing a similar percentage of top growth when pruning the roots of deciduous trees, doesn't seem to work with Pinus. It's been said but I can only reiterate - Prune nearly back to some healthy foliage and only in small amounts at that. A scientific explanation eludes me to account for this dying back but we know that it does happen. Therefore, time the pruning correctly to the semi-dormant period, remove little, leave foliage and only do it infrequently.
animated tree.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hey Guys
I asked this question over various forums and found that most just excepted that Pines could not be cut back hard and had never considered why. But Eventually I did get a very interesting and colaborated explination.
Apparently after cutting back a pine hard the roots are able to suck up more water than the foliage can handle and the tree drowns. This results in the death of the tree.
Two solutions where offered as tried and true methods. Prune the roots back hard as well as you can see Leong has done in his video or keep the soil dry after hard pruning the pine. Obviously the aim of both methods is to stop the tree sucking up so much water and stop it drowning.

Now who is game to try it :lol:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.

Return to “AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009”