Literati Contest Recycle bin

To further our understanding and skills in creating and refining the Literati Bunjin style!
Note: This Contest is already closed

Moderator: Bretts

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Common Peach - Literati - is it possible?

Post by Watto »

This is great looking stock and will make a fine bonsai. I have seen a few peach bonsai, and as long as they are big enough, they are very effective. As mentioned, Ray Nesci has one, and Clinton Nesci also had one, and both were/are fine looking bonsai (havn't seen Clinton's for a while). The important thing is to work on this tree with love and gutso, and one day enjoy eating the fruit from your own bonsai.
Good luck
Watto
Last edited by Bretts on November 6th, 2009, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: juniperus chinesis entry 2

Post by Jamie »

kvan64 wrote:Nice sketches and good vision again jamie. However, I think a lone tree standing on the edge of a cliff often bends more and have broader foliage distribution. Your design reflects more of a tree in a dense forest strungling to reach sun light. It actually telling a its story there.

this is possible, but heres the imagination kicking in... you think of the mountain/cliff with a dense forestry right to the edge, over the ages the trees around it start dying off, one by one, or more, till one day the only tree left is this one, right by itself, there on the cliff, maybe i should say plateau. this might make my thoughts more understandable.

the sketches have been taken from pictures found (landscape shots) on google and literati paintings and the likes of that :D
i searched for about three hours taking mental images and saving some of the best ones to use as reference to work these sketches out last night.
the landscape shots and paintings showed trees much like this.
these are what have been my inspiration, now the hard part begins this weekend trying to develop a shrub like i have into my vision!

i will do it :D :twisted: ;) :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :D :shock: :D

like i said before this is a challenge to me and i hope it gives some inspiration and information to those who are watching the thread! :D

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

just an idea jamie. watch your line character. hard to find a juniper in a hrsh condition with branches exiting up. :D

jamie 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
NathanM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, taxodium, pinus

Re: Juniperus Fomenia

Post by NathanM »

Ant, thank you very much for that. That is a REALLY good way to work it out and help find a design!!
I'll get a better photgraph on the weekend to make it easier to trace the outline.
That really is a good idea ^_^
Then I still need to hope my skills/creativity is enough lol.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Juniperus Fomenia

Post by anttal63 »

no prob you dig and i'll help. :D

Tagged for removal
Last edited by Bretts on November 6th, 2009, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

anttal63 wrote:just an idea jamie. watch your line character. hard to find a juniper in a hrsh condition with branches exiting up. :D

jamie 2.JPG

thanks mate, i probably should of stated in my ramblings that even though this is juniper, it is going to bee styled like a pine... as such :? :)
a lot of my inspiration for the lines and foliage is from pines and this is where i guess i am heading with it :D :oops: :D

on another note, got the day off from work tomorrow so this puppy is getting a major over haul!!!
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Re: Common Peach - Literati - is it possible?

Post by kvan64 »

Thank you watto. The problem with this is it buds very slowly. Any suggestion with the feeding program to improve foliage?
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

hey people!

i finally got around to doing an initial styling, i cant beleive how much i actually took off, i should of took a pic of that too :D

any ways here is a bit of a break down, with so much foliage and branching removed going through it all was quite hectic, i used some off cuts of wire to mark which ones i wasnt going to be removing, just incase i did take one of the branches of i would be needing by accident.

some pics of the tree after most of the excess was removed.
bunjin comp 013.jpg
bunjin comp 014.jpg
bunjin comp 015.jpg
at this point i could see some potential, the top section of the tree was just too long for the overall design so it had to go, working with what i had left a started from the bottom of the tree up. wiring each branch first, then shaping from the lowest branch right to the top.
bunjin comp 016.jpg
bunjin comp 017.jpg
bunjin comp 018.jpg
now you might notice in these pics that the top seems even shorter than in the first excess removal shots.... well thats because it is :oops: :oops: while bringing the top down and creating some movement... :oops: i snapped the bit i wanted.. :oops: i even double wired to try and stop this because this was a fear.. oh well.
from there i had to make do with what i had, so it was off to the nursery to get some thin wire. 1mm. honestly i should of taken it off another tree but just thought better than that. :)
as you can see the stake is still in the shots, if it wasnt there i wouldnt be getting the angle i am after, that will not be there in the final shots, it might be guy wired but no stake, so you will have to excuse that for now.

from here i will feed well, plenty of sunlight and get som growth happening. the grow pot it is in is fine as it was just lip potted when i bought it so thats not a prob :D plenty of room for new roots :D

if i have forgotten anything please feel free to ask, that includes the judges, instructors, guides etc. and the other contestants or even just the on lookers :D cheers!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
dayne
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper, pine
Bonsai Club: sunshine coast

Re: Literati Juniper - Entry No#1

Post by dayne »

hi great start to the tree the only thing i can notice is that it looks very right sided have you toyed with dropping just a couple of short branches back and down to the left maybe the 3rd and 5th or 6th just a thought or just tell me to jump
like i said tho great start very aged look for its actual age
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

I think that it is going to need some movement put into the trunk where the branches are being removed.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

stymie wrote:I think that it is going to need some movement put into the trunk where the branches are being removed.

i am not quite sure what you mean mate :? :?: the branching that is left i was intending on keeping... :?:
my plans were to develop the foliage then wire out to create a sparseness.

could you please elaborate on your thoughts don? thanks.

i do understand the trunk is rather straight at this point, i have to work out where to get vet tape, raffia or the likes to be able to put movement into that straight section, is this what you are talking about?

Last edited by Jamie on November 7th, 2009, 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

jamie111 wrote:
stymie wrote:I think that it is going to need some movement put into the trunk where the branches are being removed.

i am not quite sure what you mean mate :? :?: the branching that is left i was intending on keeping... :?:
my plans were to develop the foliage then wire out to create a sparseness.

could you please elaborate on your thoughts don? thanks.

i do understand the trunk is rather straight at this point, i have to work out where to get vet tape, raffia or the likes to be able to put movement into that straight section, is this what you are talking about?

Jamie your wife might be able to help when it come to raffia or vetwrap :!: what he says. Ask her to get you some 2cm biase binding. They use it in dress and curtain making it is cotton. It works I have used it. It is much like the stuff I used on OH! bugger. Which is furniture webbing.

I think what Don means if you have some movement. Keep it going so you have subtle movement all the along the trunk line.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

I think you might need something like this. This is my $5 trunk bender. If you already have a piece of straight steel bar, you only need to spend $1 on the nuts and bolts. I stealed the idea from Bretts (Thanks Bretts) but don't have a welder and this modification would be better in the way you could adjust the bending angles. Works well for me.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

ahhhhhhh,

so a subtle curvature in a "straight" section of trunk will help in the overall appeal to the tree itself? i take it this is what you are getting at :D
and my wife may not be able to help with the stuff for curtain or dress making but a mate of mine, his missus does that sort of thing, so i will have to look into it :D

kvan- thats a very effective and cheap way of making a branch/trunk bender, i do have a welder and the materials and was gonna do one like brets, but it is a good way for people that dont have that sort of machinery :D thanks for the tip mate :D

i will have to go over the tree and see where subtle bends and curves can be made :D

SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Perhaps if I had said 'where the branches have been removed it would have been less confusing. :oops:
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.

Return to “AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009”