Skippy's Radiata Pine

To further our understanding and skills in creating and refining the Literati Bunjin style!
Note: This Contest is already closed

Moderator: Bretts

Chris Di Nola
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers
Bonsai Age: 18
Bonsai Club: Illlawarra

Skippy's Radiata Pine

Post by Chris Di Nola »

Hi everyone

Here is my entry, its going to be an extreme task with this tree so I will go into detail during the tree transition which I plan to start in December.

I purchased this Radiata Pine from the bargain section of a nursery for $30.00 about 3 years ago :) . It was quite neglected when I saved it from a certain fate, the only work it has received has been to remove all the dead branches & pot it up into a bonsai pot so it would stop falling over in the wind. Getting it back to health has been my aim so far, as you can see, it is now fighting fit & hopefully ready for its makeover. It is just under 2 metres tall from the roots to the apex & 100mm wide at the base.

Hope you all enjoy

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good Mates, Good Times, Good Bonsai !!!!
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Radiata Pine

Post by Jamie »

i got some 1/2 , 3/4 and 1 inch round bar at work if you need to bend the trunk... :P :shock: :roll: :)

sorry judges... couldnt help myself :D :roll: :oops: :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
JayP
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine/Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Goshu

Post by JayP »

nice stock mate!! i think it definately needs some movement in the trunk but with a bit of hardcore bending it could make a showpiece literati!!
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Get out the raffia, branch splitters, heavy wire and go for it. Could make some very interesting tight bends in that tree with the proper equipment. Is that a crack/damage midway up the trunk??? If so bend around it.... nice to get a tree that presents challenges with a positive outcome in sight. Will be interested in seeing in once the initial work is done.
Chris Di Nola
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Chris Di Nola »

Hi All

MelaQuin, you know me way way too well :!: & stop reading my mind. :D

There are a few areas of the trunk that has previous damage, I hope to overcome this problem with the methods that I plan to use.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Di Nola
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Chris Di Nola »

Hi All

During the week I finally had time to start my main entry into the comp, so here is the progression of the day with help from my good mate Jamo & 6 hours.

I prepped the raffia by putting it a tub full of hot water so when applying it will shrink a little when drying. I also used 2 bandages that I also soaked in the water.
Before starting any major work on the tree I needed to find out how much of the cambium had died back exposing natural Shari. This was very important as the plan I had in mind for the tree would not have worked if I had missed these Shari’s.
100_3717.jpg
100_3715.jpg
100_3714.jpg
100_3713.jpg
The next thing was to remove the dead wood which will help facilitate the big bends that are going to be done using a Samurai carving tool on a Die Grinder. I had to be careful not to damage the live cambium tissue during this process.
100_3719.jpg
100_3720.jpg
100_3722.jpg
Next I marked the remainder of the tree with chalk so to give me the line to follow while I split the tree in two. After the tree had been split sealing past was applied to all the live tissue that was exposed to eliminate any transpiration.
100_3723.jpg
100_3726.jpg
100_3727.jpg
100_3729.jpg
2 Lengths of 9mm aluminum wire (rod) was then cut & cable tied to the inside areas where I had removed the dead wood, to give extra support to the separated areas.
100_3733.jpg
100_3734.jpg
100_3735.jpg
100_3736.jpg
100_3738.jpg
This next method I implemented because I was fearful of the live tissue drying out. I have not seen this used before & I don’t know if it will work, but it will help with holding the wire into place. I applied a soaked bandage to the areas that had been split as this was applied I removed the cable ties.
100_3740.jpg
100_3741.jpg
100_3742.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris Di Nola
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Chris Di Nola »

Then raffia was wrapped around both split trunks, very tight & making sure that it was completely covering all areas that needed bending just like the bandages. 6mm wire was then used on the tree for even further strength.
100_3745.jpg
100_3746.jpg
100_3747.jpg
100_3749.jpg
Now the part that I had been waiting for, the bending, I had a good idea of what I wanted to achieve with the style, so it was just a matter of hoping that the tree would comply.
I used bending bars as well as my hands, taking my time with the bends trying not to disrupt the live veins anymore than was necessary & resting the bends as I went.
100_3750.jpg
100_3752.jpg
100_3753.jpg
I did not remove any branches until I had the tree in the position that I wanted as I was not sure which would be kept & which ones removed.
After removal of all unneeded branched & needle pruning, I wired every branch even those that I had decided to keep as Jins.
After styling the tree was placed under 30% shade cloth & will stay there until signs of new growth.
100_3754.jpg
100_3755.jpg
100_3756.jpg
Once I see the tree is ok I will start my next step which will be to bend the main trunk between the start of the split & the base.
IMGP6850.jpg
IMGP6851.jpg
IMGP6852.jpg
IMGP6853.jpg
I hope this explains everything clearly & now let hope that the tree survives.

Cheers
Chris
jamo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines and Maples
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society

Post by jamo »

What an experience it was to assist Skippy with the styling of this tree. I was keen to help out and use the techniques he had in store. Amazed that he could get his hands on 9mm aluminium wire, which we had to bolt cutters to cut! Thanks for the opportunity mate.
simonm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acer palmatum

Post by simonm »

WOW... i wouldn't even have though it was possible to do something like that...
Hey all
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Post by Jamie »

jamo wrote:What an experience it was to assist Skippy with the styling of this tree. I was keen to help out and use the techniques he had in store. Amazed that he could get his hands on 9mm aluminium wire, which we had to bolt cutters to cut! Thanks for the opportunity mate.

i beleive that you should be able to get 9mm alloy rod from any local metal fabrication shop, moreso an aluminium workshop but they should carry it.

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
bonsaiboy87
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by bonsaiboy87 »

Wow what a fantastic transformation!

I really shows how some material that a beginner may pass up can become something quite unexpected when in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing!!

Great job and I will join in prayer for the tree to survive, after all I wanna see how it all turns out :)

Great inspiration and thanks for sharing it step by step with us
Chris Di Nola
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Chris Di Nola »

Sorry to say the tree has gone to be in that big bonsai garden in the sky, now back to the drawing board.

better luck next time

Cheers
Chris
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

Skippy wrote:Sorry to say the tree has gone to be in that big bonsai garden in the sky, now back to the drawing board.

better luck next time

Cheers
Chris
Hi Skip,

Sorry to hear about the tree. Max Candy and I tried it a number of times and not everyone was successfull but enough were to keep us interested.

Keep trying and good luck with the next one.

Grant
Joel
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: A yet to be found native
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Post by Joel »

Damn. Nice to see this technique used anyway. Better luck next time!

Joel
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Skippy wrote:Sorry to say the tree has gone to be in that big bonsai garden in the sky, now back to the drawing board.

better luck next time

Cheers
Chris
Really sorry to hear that Skippy. I was hoping for a good outcome :cry: Well, if at first, and all that. Lets see round two hey.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"

Return to “AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009”