AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009 RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT

To further our understanding and skills in creating and refining the Literati Bunjin style!
Note: This Contest is already closed

Moderator: Bretts

Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009 RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Steven »

The votes are in and have been collated...

It is with great pleasure that I announce the winners of the 2009-2010 AusBonsai Literati Competition. But first, I will explain the judging process...

There were 3 Teachers/Judges who based their scores on the following criteria and percentage;
Instructional and method content 30% (this was the most important as the exercise was primarily for learning)
Style conformation 15%
Trunk line 20%
Foliage placement 10%
Overall design impact 25%
Total score out of 100

The total score from the 3 judges was then averaged giving us the Average Total. In a couple of instances trees were not scored by 1 judge so the average was taken of the 2 who did.

The Judges names (Stymie, Pup and Leigh) have been removed from the following score sheet and replaced with A B and C.

Now back to the announcement..

The winners are...

Aged Styled Stock
1st place with a score of 89.00 is Bodhidharma with his Juniper chamaecyparis. Diederik wins $250 cash :hooray:
2nd place with a score of 87.66 is again Bodhidharma with his Juniperus Squamata. Diederik wins a custom made pot by Bretts :tu:
3rd place with a score of 87.33 is Watto with his Deodara Cedar. Watto wins 10 fertilizer baskets and 10 bonsai labels :clap:

New Stock
1st place with a score of 82.66 is Kvan64 with his Juniper squamata. Kvan64 wins some Japanese bonsai tools from Bodhidharma Nursery. :hooray:
2nd place with a score of 79.00 is Bretts with his Black Pine. Brett wins a Janet Selby AusBonsai signature series pot :tu:
3rd place with a score of 73.33 is Watto with his Eucalyptus Parvifloria. Watto wins another 10 fertilizer baskets and 10 bonsai labels :clap:

Thank you to all who entered and supported this competition. Thank you to Brett for organising it, to the moderators who kept the threads clean and a special thank you to Stymie, Leigh Taafe and Pup who spent considerable time coaching, guiding and judging.

Regards,
Steven
2009-2010 Literati Contest Score Sheet.jpg
2009-2010 Literati Contest Judging sheet.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by gocny on January 6th, 2011, 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009 RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Bretts »

Congrats Bodi, Kvan and Watto and Ya I only have to make one pot. Thanks for the pot Steven :cool: Then agian maybe I should send you the other prize I offered as a replacement :lost:

Now it can't be a true ausbonsai comp until we get someone complain about the judging :lol: :palm:

Thanks to all (especially the judges) for putting up with the very open format we chose. Maybe in time we can get some feedback on our final entries :worship:
I am looking forward to keep updating my entries. The new branch on the clero is not far away.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Awesome Boys, Congratulations

A big thanks to the Judges :worship: :clap: :clap: and also to those that provided the prizes :-) :clap: :beer:
To all who took part I hope we all learned something good, but we all benefit from each others success :hooray: and fails :palm:

Thanks Steven fro facilitating the comp too:-)

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

RE: AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009 RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by kvan64 »

I'd to post here to say thank you to the jugdes, who are generous (but fair :) ) in judging my tree, to everyone else who supported and encouraged me and putting up with my silly styling and restyling of the tree, and to Steven who made all this possible! And also to Bodhidharma Nursery for the great prize (I always wanted japanese tools. It's dream comes true :tu: )
Thank you! :worship:
Last edited by kvan64 on January 6th, 2011, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Webos
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Southern Vic Bonsai Club

Post by Webos »

Awesome work by organisers, judges, moderators and competitors alike. I have had a ball trying to get the most out of a stick in a pot within the space of a year.

Congratulations to the winners, legendary effort

Webos
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

O.K, unexpected :crikey: How much FUN was that. A great way to learn about a style and share the high's and low's of the experience. Judges :worship: You donated, free of charge, your expertise, your years of learning and your patience. I hope i speak on behalf of all Ausbonsai contributors in thanking you for the effort. Other contributors, thanks heaps, as there is no competition without competitors who are willing to put their work up for scrutiny good and bad. I wish there was more that had a go. AusBonsai :clap: Thank you very much for allowing and sponsoring this event. Couldnt have happened without you. LETS DO IT AGAIN :tu: THIS TIME IN FORMAL UPRIGHT. Thanks for the pot Bretts, i look forward to seeing it in the clay, so to speak. Kvan, please p.m me your details and they will be on their way. My best wishes to all :aussie:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Craig »

Congratulations to Bodhidharma and Kvan :hooray: :beer: :beer: ,,,,and also to all the runner ups,, :clap: ,,, well done guys,,,,,regards Craig
Last edited by Craig on January 6th, 2011, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

As stated before Bodi . You are a true style master in more ways than one :tu:

The idea with the pot Bodi is you tell me what you want and I make it. Round, oval and rounded rectangle are my specialty at the moment on the wheel (if I have a specialty :palm: ) I am too slack to have a bunch of them sitting around, Adelaide guys cleaned out my last lot of rejects ;) . I will Pm you for details. Pottery starts up agian in Feb and it will need to go through two firings after that but I will be sure to get a few in the first round for you to pick from. :tu2:
I will enjoy making it :tu:
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Yeah lets do it again with formal upright like Diederik mentioned. If i am lucky again, I would love to have a pot made by you Bretts. And thanks Craig, ken and webos for drinking to us :)
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Congratulations to all the winners and place getter's. I hope you had fun, and learnt something of your trees and of your selves.

One thing we all have to learn is discipline, when you enter a competition, is that it has certain restraints and demands.
So when you enter, you have made a commitment to your CLUB and the organisers, so abide by the rules, post what and when you have too.

So all trees are judged. As the major component of this was instruction and Impact was also very high. These on some of the trees was lacking.
Some post were made in 2009 and no more, even the boss was slack in that area.
I was asked to write an overview of the competition. I think this will suffice as mine. As I feel if I say more it will be misconstrued.

Cheers, yours in Bonsai Pup :beer: :beer: :beer:
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
lennard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Rustenburg bonsai Kai

Post by lennard »

kcpoole wrote:Awesome Boys, Congratulations

A big thanks to the Judges :worship: :clap: :clap: and also to those that provided the prizes :-) :clap: :beer:
To all who took part I hope we all learned something good, but we all benefit from each others success :hooray: and fails :palm:

Thanks Steven fro facilitating the comp too:-)

Ken
Ditto :clap:

Lennard
For information on African species and my progression in bonsai visit : http://lennardsbonsaibeginnings.blogspot.com/
bonsai_Dan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Port Jackson Fig

Post by bonsai_Dan »

Well done :clap:
********************************************************************************************************************************* :aussie:
Taffy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Taffy »

Well done and congratulations to all.

Everyone that entered is a winner in my books because although some of you may not have achieved a placing, you all had a go!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Regards

Taffy.
Psymo
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus

Post by Psymo »

well done all, lotta inspira :yes: tion
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Firstly a big thankyou to all the entrants for without people "having a go" things like this would never get off the ground. Also to the Don, Leigh and Pup for their time, energy and guideance throughout the comp. Personally I had a great time and really enjoyed the process as it made me think about my trees, try different techniques with my trees (some worked & some didn't) and as Pup has mentioned, gave me some discipline in regard to my working calendar. It was fun and I learnt a lot.
Many congratulations to the winners and I hope that there are a few more similar exercises that we can all enjoy.
Cheers
Watto
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “AusBonsai Literati Contest 2009”