Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: Literati Juniper - Entry No#1

Post by Jamie »

just a little tip mate, if you can wire those pads out a little bit so they look a little sparser it will give the tree a lighter feel but also allow for better growth and open up the inner areas of the pads to let light and air in which will help with growth :D

if wiring isnt an option pinching will work sweet, you seem to have that down pat very well anyways, those pads look very defined!

jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

That's a good idea actually! I will do that especially to the lowest branch as I felt the it didn't have enough sunlight. Besides, it's relatively easy to wire them back near the end. Thanks Jamie.

Also apart from ST twice a month and slow release pellets, I don't have any other fertilising plan for this. Has anyone had any experience fertilising jups with great sucess?
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kvan64 »

Just some update as suggested.
I think the overall design looked a bit too conforming and lack resistance to the "wind" direction. I have changed the movement to be more struggling. The folliage will be selected and some branches will be removed in spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

G'day Kvan, it is coming along nicely but i will play the good cop, bad cop here as it is your tree and you will make the final judgement. So, the classic line is...if it were my tree... i would strongly consider losing the three lowest branches. the lowest completely and the other two to be jinned. the lowest branch does not fit into Literati refinements and jinning the other two will enhance the trunk line. Food for thought? :o
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

kvan64 wrote:Just some update as suggested.
I think the overall design looked a bit too conforming and lack resistance to the "wind" direction. I have changed the movement to be more struggling. The folliage will be selected and some branches will be removed in spring.

Kev the background is a bit busy for my eyes is there a chance of a plain back so we can see more clearly the lines. It is looking very healthy.

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kvan64 »

Got some clear pics here pup.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

You will have to loose some of those branches, especially the lower ones if you wish to go further with the Bunjingi, as it is far to busy.
Also the top needs some definition,and some branches need shortening. It is very healthy so that is a very good sign.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers :) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kvan64 »

Yep. I recently cleaned up the folliage of the upper branches that was close to the trunk and revealed more stems. These will need to be rewired.
I want to cut down all the lower branches (3) but this would leave an even number of branches (4) that may not be pleasing the eyes?
Edit: I tried a virt for 3 branches. Does it look too bold?
Last edited by kvan64 on May 29th, 2010, 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

I like the low branches they give this tree some character, otherwise it is just pretty much boring. You could cut them and try to force it into a classical style because it is a specific style competition, or you could leave it as is an refine pads and give it a nice feminine pot, something light to suit the gentle curves and simplicity.

i know the option i would go for :D .
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kvan64 »

Just some update for my jup entry. I was trying to refine the movements and realized that since I modified the design recently, the movements are not set yet. I had to rewire the whole thing and this time I have spreaded the wires out evenly to equalize the pressure. I also used some guy-wires to traumatize the sharp bents. The middle branches were also have folliage removed to make it look more like literati. The bottom branch is a sacrified branch now and may be removed at final stage.
One problem I see so far is that the young wood may not set well enough in December and I may have to leave the wires there.

I also made a pot for this tree. It's an accent pot and I'm not quite sure if I should keep it with the natural paper clay color or wash it with magnezium dioxide or glaze it moss-green colour or any other colour. Any suggestion would be great.
Cheers,
DK
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

very nice DK!

this one is coming along in leaps and bounds! and i like your pots to mate :D to be honest though i think the pot on the right hand side in the pic with the 3 pots would be the one to use ;)

i would keep it a plain pot re. the colour, if you can get it to lose the purplish colour to a more chocolate colour would suit it better.

great stuff!
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kvan64 »

Which one on the right jamie? I'll play around with the colouring. Chocolate colour sounds interesting.
Thanks,
DK
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo

Post by Jamie »

hi mate,

second last pic, right hand bottom pot infront of the round drum ;)
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kvan64 »

Jamie wrote:hi mate,

second last pic, right hand bottom pot infront of the round drum ;)
Thanks Jamie. I am not so good directions but this is very clear :)
anttal63 wrote:I really like it well done DK! :D ;) 8-)
Thanks Antt. There's still a fair bit o refinement to do.
Bretts wrote:Thats a nice pot Kvan. I like the thickness of the wall or the impression of thickness :? . It matches the smooth finish somehow!
I would be thinking an oxide wash but I have so many colours in my head at the moment I am just taking pot shots.
Oh I know what about a light coat of coloured slip and then a wash. I like the smoothness but maybe this will give it just a little texture.
If you haven't yet, consider some channels on the bottom to take the tie in wire and at least a nice big chamfer on the bottom of the drainage hole to help drainage.

I thought they where all the same pot :? I would think the high part would go to the right.
Thanks for all the good suggestions Bretts. You are right, the high part should go to the right and I got the front mixed up :( The clay has set a bit and maybe too late to add any thing to it but I can always make another one :) Believe or not, I only test-fired the kiln and haven't fired a single pot yet since I bought the kiln last year! I've tried the wheel too but hopelessly failed so handbuilding is the only way for me now :)
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kvan64 »

Well, it's time for some refining. I have removed the wires and guy-wires. The sacrifical branches also got removed. As predicted, the branches have not set well enough to stay in place. Also they need further training to have defined movements so I rewired the remaining branches. The two dead branches (were intended for jins) have been jinned. I didn't repot the tree at the start of spring and feel that it seems a bit too hot now here to do so. For the well being of the tree, I may just leave it in the current pot.

Even though the tree still have a long way to go before becoming a convincing literati bonsai, I feel that I have learnt a lot through this competition. It's a steep learning curve for me and I'm glad that I've taken part in this competition. Thank you to those who have help me with ideas and suggestions. Also thank you Ausbonsai to give me the opportunity to go this far with literati.
Cheers,
DK

Return to “New Stock”