Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Eucalyptus Parvifloria

Post by Watto »

Hi,
This is my second entry in the new stock section. It is a Eucalyptus Parviflora (small leaved gum) according to the label. It was purchased last week from a nursery in Camberra for the princely sum of $3.50. It currently stands about 1200mm tall but is only about 15mm wide at the trunk - so tall and thin.
I entered this so that there would be another Aus Native in the comp, because I know little about gum's as bonsai so this should be a learning experience, it was cheap, it will be fun, there is an opportunity to bend this into some interesting shape and I have an empty pot that this should look good in.
As a member of AusBonsi and being an Aussie, I should have a few more natives in my collection and this is an ideal opportunity.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Re: Eucalyptus Parvifloria

Post by stymie »

Looks like you have a good start with natural movement at the bottom. This should be reflected all the way up as soon as poss before it gets too lignified.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks Don, hopefully I will get a bit of wire on it this week.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

I put some wire on this little darling yesterday and gave it some shape. I also gave it a trim. I have reduced the height down to 900mm and it has some three dimensional movement as well. If I can, I plan to show a progressive photo every month or so to let people know how it is progressing.
Please don't be too unkind at the quality of the wiring, its not how it looks but how it works!
I have said before I don't know anything about Eucalypyus but this appears very receptive to everything I have done so far (just standard bonsai techniques), but of course I have only just started. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Post by stymie »

Not only movement but a hanging branch as well. Its all happening.
True, the wire coils look a bit further aoart than is optimum but its evenly done and is obviously of a grade which gives control.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

Well done Watto it has some very nice potential. Also being an Australian native is a plus. The movement looks good as Stymie has pointed out.
I look forward to its progression.

Good luck ;) Pup

By the way I will remain impartial even though it is a native ;)
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
dennismc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives, JBP, Cfrepe Myrtle
Bonsai Age: 40
Bonsai Club: Teacher, School of Bonsai

Post by dennismc »

Hi Watto

You have hit a nerve with me. It is wonderful to see we Aussies trying our own flora.

I am not sure what style you are looking for. So i will stick to some general advice on gum trees as bonsai. To introduce myself i also love the natives as Bonsai, especially the gums of which i have about 8 in training. Their ages range from just beginning training to over 25 years in training. In that time i have discovered that the critical requirement is that each time the roots are cut it is essential that the pot does not dry out at all for 3 to 4 weeks. After that your usual watering regime will do.

Against this they respond to almost any Bonsai techniques applied to them including drastic reduction in height. I look forward to seeing he progress of this tree.

regards

Dennis Mc
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

This little gum has been giving me some heartache. It is still alive and well (although I forgot to take a photo) but every time I do some work on the crown/apex, it throws out a mass of shoots up and down the trunk. For literati, this is not good. I have been lead to believe that Eucalyptus are apical dominate and so I thought (dangerous I know) that it would continue to push fresh growth to the top, but this has not been to case to date.
I plan to put it into its new pot this week (work depending) and I will be strictly following Dennis's advice in regard to soil moisture levels.
This Australian native plant will be going into a pot made in Australia by an Australian - just trying to keep the theme going. Hopefully some photos next week. Cheers,
Watto
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

As you can see there are many new shoots around the base. Just before potting I rubbed them off. The after photo will appear in a day or three, just getting that new pot nice and clean for the photo.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Here is the photo after potting into its fist ever bonsai pot. I followed Dennis's advice and did not let it dry out for a moment after potting, and it appears to powering along now. I used granular fertilizer for Aust natives in the potting medium and as it has only just been four weeks, nothing else yet.
It has continued to shoot all over the trunk (and I continue to rub them off) and there is new growth at the apex - all in all coming along. Only a couple of days to go so I am working on the final "look".
Cheers for now - Watto
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

A little while ago I decided that this tree was too tall, and as such the top had to go (it is now 770mm tall). The "hanging branch" was looking good so it became the new apex. I am pleased with that decision even though the apex needs a bit more growth.
This tree still pushes out growth up and down the trunk, and I continue to rub off that new growth. There has been some growth at the top and that is pleasing. Although there looks to be a straight bit in the trunk, there is three dimensional movement that does not show very well in a two dimensional photo.
This Literati style is very difficult I have decided. Trying to get a balance between appropriate movement and a reasonable looking apex is hard (if it really is the style of wise men - no wonder I'm struggling). Those things said, I have had an absolute ball during this contest. I have learnt a lot - and especially about this particular gum - and I have also tested my skills. All in all its just been fun.
I would like to thank all those who have given me ideas and assistance during the last 12 months or so.
This presentation is as Aussie as you can get - Aussie tree; pot by Aussie potter (Pat Kennedy) and the stand is made from Aussie red gum hardwood.
Thanks - Watto

PS - Of course if the judges want a photo from each side they only have to ask!
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

:gday: :aussie: Watto I have a question is this YOUR prefered viewing angle :?: . Or do you prefer another :!: . If so show us, as this is what will be judged as your final submission, along with all of your other points you have given us.

Cheers :lost: Pup
Last edited by Pup on December 28th, 2010, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Pup - this is my preferred viewing angle, but it is unfortunate that the 2D photo takes away the in and away movement.
Cheers

Return to “New Stock”