Moderator: Bretts

Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Bunjin Italian Pine

Post by Bretts »

I like the new front alot Watto. I would consider standing the tree up a little. Bend the way Jamie states might not hurt either.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I will definately stand it up a bit more when I repot. I haven't given up on the bending but it will unfortunately now not happen until after the contest is over - but thats OK because I will have this tree for many years so there will be plenty of time for continual improvements.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

As we are fast moving towards the conclusion I thought I should show the next progression, the new pot. This was done in late September, and into the Pat Kennedy pot I had selected.
Cheers
Watto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

As the contest is getting very close to conclusion, here is the latest for this tree. Just a little bit of tweeking done to the branch placement, and it is nearly ready for its final photo shoot.
It has always been my intention throughout this that I would try to post regular updates so not to overwhelm the judges at the last minute.
Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Following the previous post I decided to adjust the profile just a bit, lower the apex, just a bit, and do some needle reduction. Although it looks a little "thin" at the moment, it will thicken quite considerably over the next few months.
Over the course of this contest I have been really pleased with the way this tree has progressed and matured. When I now compare the first photo and this final photo, there is a big difference and I believe it is mostly positive - that's my opinion anyway.
I hope that others like it, and this has been a very large learning curve and lots of fun.
Cheers
Watto
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Hi Watto,
I like where you are going with this one, especially the downward section of the trunk with its shari.
Increased movement in the straight section of trunk will :imo: improve the tree greatly. I also think you should keep the foliage moving to the right (away from the shari) at present the lowest left branch should be shortened by adding a few bends and the apex also pointed away from the trunk. Just my opinion but interested to know what others think.
I understand that the foliage is in early stages and the future plan may involve branches and foliage pads which do not exist yet.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.

Return to “Aged Styled Stock”