bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Chaemycyparis...Literati entrant 2

Post by bodhidharma »

Here is my Juniper as entrant no 2. It has been in training for 2 years since design. I chose it from some of my growing stock that i have and its style was always predetermined to what you see it as now. It was grown from a cutting and is 15 years old. It is 530mm in height. It came as a job lot that i purchased from a friend who was getting rid of a lot of his stock and gave me its history. The design was created by me. It started its life as a typical bush. It was not my initial choice, which was a classic slender Literati Chamaecyparis (see picture) and it was a difficult decision to make. I am still unsure but i think i have made the correct decision. I would love some feedback on this difficult decision. Both trees need extensive work on the foliage pads and, as i have lots of tress to take care of, will happen in time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bretts on January 13th, 2010, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Re: Juniperis Chinensis...Literati entrant 2

Post by Pup »

I would work with Chamaecyparis no 2 it is almost there just some refinement. I like it ;) Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Hi Bodi
I Find this design captivating as a literati should and very reminiscent of your work. It also troubles me a little. I think that the straight section is one issue and also the second and third branches. Although they are a fair distance apart they still give me a feeling of bar branches.
With a little though I gather the simplicity of literati means that our eye travels fast up the tree and i get the feeling of these branches mirroring each other.

I have come up with one solution for your consideration although I am not 100% happy that this is the solution.

You could add a little movement into the upper trunk to continue the lower movement. I think that changing the movement of the branches indicated could break the mirroring effect as well.

I have been trying to work out what Robert Stevens said about literati having two lines whereas the other styles have one. I think this may have something to do with that but I can't put my finger on it yet!

Edit Written after Pups reply!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Still not sure about my virt but I agree with Pup it needs tweaking there somewhere?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks for the appraisal Gentlemen.I must agree, no 2 it is. I think i can solve the problem by bringing the branches down a little more and, as you said Bretts, adding a curve. I built this one from scratch and it is dear to me. I didnt think it was speccy enough and missed the whole point of Literati, which was in front of my eyes all along.SIMPLICITY.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

It is time to post an up date on my entry as it was done a while ago. The work and photos you see here were done before Christmas and i will update again shortly. The tree is resting and growing at the moment. Some movement has been added and branches changed a little upon suggestions from this forum. I will now get to work on the secondary and tertiary branches and improve positioning and foliage.
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

Hi Bodhi, that upper bend and new angle make an enourmous improvement.
I am liking it very much.

Gerard
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Post by Pup »

G,day Bohdi the trunk above the crack/ bending jack is very straight when you consider the rest of the tree.

Just and observation.

Good luck ;) Pup

bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Yes, i looked at that to Pup. I am torn between a radical bend or a gentle one. Maybe a few virt people could give me an idea. It is times like this i wish my artistic skills extended to sketching :( but we might have talented folk reading this as we speak :D
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

chaemycparis Literati entrant

Post by bodhidharma »

Well it is time to take the hardware of the tree before it marks the trunk to badly to grow out in time. I took the advice and added a small curve at the top of the trunk. It looked silly with all the benders in place but i did not want to raffia the trunk as i thought i could accomplish enough movement without it. It is growing well and once the hardware is of i will wire the foliage into place.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

chaemycyparis Literati entrant...no 2

Post by bodhidharma »

O.K the hardware has been taken off and the branches have been wired into place, The front has been changed and the top bowed head has been rotated to accommodate the new front. Change has taken place and i think that the tree is now somewhere where i want it. Because of the changes i am resisting the urge to wire the foliage pads and push the tree further. The Pot has been sourced and if any of the virt wizards could put the tree into the pot so i can have a look that would be wonderful. The pot is from my friend Trevor Wheeler and the stand was bought for me, from an Antique store, by my mother in law, bless her soul. I now need some feedback so judges and onlookers , go your hardest.
Last edited by bodhidharma on March 10th, 2010, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue

Re: chaemycparis Literati entrant...no 2

Post by Pup »

You can cut this out after I get an answer but in the last picture it looks like you have a Bohdi standing on the first branch dressed in white.

Or is that an omen I am going to get this arvo from DR

Cheers :? Pup

bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: chaemycparis Literati entrant...no 2

Post by bodhidharma »

I never noticed it Pup but, you being the first person to notice it, can only be positive on your behalf ;)
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: chaemycyparis Literati entrant...no 2

Post by bodhidharma »

Yes thanks Gerard, Trevor is not your typical Potter and is not prolific in the production of them. I have a lot of them and think he is underrated in the Bonsai Potters world. He is also an artist in water colours and that might take his attention of potting a bit. I love his pots though.
Jamie
Bonsai passionardo
Bonsai passionardo
Favorite Species: CLERO!!!,ficus, celtis, juniper, elms
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: AUSBONSAI.COM

Re: chaemycyparis Literati entrant...no 2

Post by Jamie »

i think this is a little better bodhi :D
bohdiliteratinewpot.jpg
jamie :D
SHOHIN YAKUZA!!!
:twisted: taking the top half of trees of since 2005! :twisted:
and growing trees for the future generations! 50+ year plans :D

Return to “Aged Styled Stock”