[Category 2] Casuarina Cutting - 3 months old

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st March 2010. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

[Category 2] Casuarina Cutting - 3 months old

Post by Ryan1979b »

This is a cutting that I took 3 months ago. It was a root sucker shooting from a massive Casuarina along a fence line. It has been eaten by cattle mowed and slashed for years. I cut it out and placed it in a water tray and it has taken of nicely. I wired the new leader the other day and will let this grow for a few more months while i start wiring down the branches and cutting them back.

I know its not a very advanced but this is my first native :)

After collection start of November.
Casuarina Yamadori.jpg
3 months after collection, my main aim is to tilt it to the left a bit & let the leader run more vertical than shown in the photo.
Casurinacutting.jpg
Casurinacutting2.jpg
Cheers all

Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alexgee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 5

Re: [Category 2] Casuarina Cutting - 3 months old

Post by alexgee »

a little off topic for the contest section but
is it common to have a tray under casuarinas after collecting??is it to replicate the moist conditions that they thrive in
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

Looking great ryan! well done. this will be a good tree in only the next few years, you watch. :D
Regards Antonio:
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Cheers Anttal, I'm pretty excited to get my branches wired to start shaping the tree & work on my leader as it is growing quickly now. Regarding the water tray I just did a lot reading throughout the forum & someone mentioned that they had great success and strike rates using a water tray to the keep roots moist when they collected natives. I must say it worked brilliant for me. I have another three root suckers potted now, two in water trays & one not so I'm interested to see the difference.

Cheers

Ryan
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Here is my tree today, Still with plenty of work to do. I was hoping the shoots on the new leader would be a bit more established so I could wire the overall shape :) I was slightly disappointed with the leader as one of my dogs decided to snap it off whilst I was growing it. I need to do some more work on the branch position as there are a few conflicts at the moment, I just ran out of time..hehehe

Currently:
Its about 450mm Tall

300mm wide

It was dug up & potted about 5-6 months ago

Cost, once aging just the Pot, wire, mix and fuel to collect it :D
Casuarina1-1.jpg
Cheers all

Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2010”