[Category 2] Casuarina Cutting - multi trunk

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st March 2010. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper/Maple/Casuarinas
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: none

[Category 2] Casuarina Cutting - multi trunk

Post by Ryan1979b »

Hey all, this is my second Casuarina yamadori submission. As with my other entry this tree was collected about 1 month ago. I originally chopped off one side of the major root (as it was a root sucker) left it for 2 months inground then went back in December and dug it out and potted it. It has been in a water tray the whole time & is beginning to show signs of new buds on most branches. (fingers crossed)

I took the liberty today to take off a lot of the unwanted foliage and dead branches then began to wire the larger ones into place. I will need a few more shoots to develop in the right spots which should not be a problem, I will just have to be patient for them to pop up in the right spot. as you can see in View2 there is a large are of exposed dead wood, which I would like to cut out a bit more & expose in future.

I have attached a few photo's of it in ground before collection, a few different views and a sketch of what I would like to achieve. I'm still unsure of what view I like best so any opinions would be great.

I hope you can see where I am going with this and I'm excited that it just may. Once the branches start to thicken up over the next year or so I can start cutting back to create shape but for the time being I will just let it go.

Currently it stands about 700mm tall from soil.
Overall cost about $10 for pots & soil,
cas0.jpg
cas1.jpg
cas2.jpg
cas3.jpg
cas4.jpg
casfutture.jpg

Cheers all, can't wait to here your opinions.

Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: [Category 2] Casuarina Cutting - multi trunk

Post by kcpoole »

Love the stump part of it, but the top straight bit looks funny in your virt.
You need to bend it so it is sympathy with the bottom section and it will look nice

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

U agree with you on that Ken, I might wait & see what branches it produces about 1/3 of the way up the straight section. Ideally I having a look at it I would like to bend it to the leader to the right (probably the fifth branch on the left from the bottom, then bring the leader back to center again?

Here is a quick alteration below responding to your comments Ken, I totally agree with you, it would make a better tree for sure.
casfutture 2.jpg
Cheers

Ryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ryan1979b
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ryan1979b »

Here is my tree as of today, I have let it grow out for the last month and as suggested I removed the top of the trunk & created new leader. It is no were near a established tree But I hope you can all see it shape from my initial wiring. I'm still waiting for more shoots to come through towards the crown for more branches. I'm pretty excited to see where this tree will go :D

700mm tall

700mm wide (reduce with time)

Dug up and potted about 4 months ago

Cost - only the Pot ,mix, wire & petrol :D

Casuarina3-1.jpg
Cheers All

Ryan

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2010”