Category 1 Allocasuarina littoralis

Categories for all levels of enthusiasts and lots of great prizes. Submissions close 31st March 2010. Click this link to find out more...
Note: This Contest is already closed

tanglefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Category 1 Allocasuarina littoralis

Post by tanglefoot »

The bulloak, Allocasuarina littoralis is normally an errect growing small to medium tree of dry and well drained areas. However sometimes in exposed situations, such as a coastal site, you do see trees with some movement in the trunk and branches.

The trunks develop a rugged, fissured bark at a reasonably young age and give the impression of maturity beyond their years. This tree is 40cm x 40cm, is about 8 years old from a seedling (nursery grown) and has been trained and living in its' Pat Kennedy pot for a year.

It has been grown and trained by Tanglefoot in the minority-government state of Tasmania.
Allocasuarina littoralis 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Re: Category 1 Allocasuarina littoralis

Post by MelaQuin »

Nicely done. Your match of tree and pot is excellent, especially since that pot is NOT an easy match for a tree... I know, I've tried several trees in and out of mine and only got one to fit well. Very interesting bonsai and captures the Aussie feel very nicely.
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Woz »

wow, tanglefoot. love that tree, I have to agree with Mel, you've done a great job pairing the tree with the pot as well as capturing the natural elements of a cas you would see in the wild.
I would love to see any future styling/developement you do on this tree so please keep us updated.
tanglefoot
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by tanglefoot »

Thanks Mel and Woz. This is one of those trees that I just love in real life, but when i photograph it I feeel I need to make adjustments! The photos just don't give the depth....need 3D!
Spinner
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Spinner »

Tangles, old buddy, I think you've just given this style of pot a reprieve!

Love the match-up!!

Spinner

Return to “Ausbonsai Australian Native Bonsai Awards 2010”