To Layer, or Not to Layer

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs, Junipers, Maples, Elms, Pines, Banksias
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai

Re: To Layer, or Not to Layer

Post by Ray M »

I have made the fatal mistake of reading too much and not acting enough! I will be taking 2 layers off this tree this weekend. My next question is do I use a spit pot with Sphag and soil or just use a plastic bag with Sphag only?
Hi Raymond,
I hope the following may help answer some of the concerns and questions asked in this thread.

1/ When you see new buds appearing on a Chinese Elm is the best time to layer it.
DSCN0129-4.jpg
2/ When you layer make sure ALL the cambium has been removed.
DSCN0080-4.jpg
3/ Use clear plastic to encase the sphagnum moss. Then wrap it in aluminium foil.
DSCN0079-3.jpg
DSCN0234-1.jpg
4/ It is important to soak the sphagnum moss in Seasol for at least a half hour before use.
DSCN0121-4.jpg
5/ Make sure you don't skimp with the sphagnum.
6/ If you do the layer correctly you will see roots in a fairly short time. These roots appeared after 41days.
DSCN0159-4.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ray M on September 4th, 2013, 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

Ray M wrote:
I have made the fatal mistake of reading too much and not acting enough! I will be taking 2 layers off this tree this weekend. My next question is do I use a spit pot with Sphag and soil or just use a plastic bag with Sphag only?
Hi Raymond,
I hope the following may help answer some of the concerns and questions asked in this thread.

1/ When you see new buds appearing on a Chinese Elm is the best time to layer it.
DSCN0129-4.jpg
2/ When you layer make sure ALL the cambium has been removed.
DSCN0080-4.jpg
3/ Use clear plastic to encase the sphagnum moss. Then wrap it in aluminium foil.
DSCN0079-3.jpg
DSCN0234-1.jpg
4/ It is important to soak the sphagnum moss in Seasol for at least a half hour before use.
DSCN0121-4.jpg
5/ Make sure you don't skimp with the sphagnum.
6/ If you do the layer correctly you will see roots in a fairly short time. These roots appeared after 41days.
DSCN0159-4.jpg
Regards Ray
WOW!!! :clap: Thank you for that. Surely not even I can screw this up now... ;) We'll see...
I will post photos on weekend, Thanks again Ray :tu:
Shane Martin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident maple, Juniper, Figs
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Shane Martin »

don't forget to apply the rooting hormone powder or gel!
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Shane Martin wrote:don't forget to apply the rooting hormone powder or gel!
Hi Shane,
Thanks for mentioning that. You will notice in the photo that I use two hormones. Richgro Root Strike Hardwood and Clonex Purple. Mix these two in equal parts before applying.
DSCN0224-3.jpg
DSCN0075-3.jpg
Regards Ray
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

I've noticed in other posts that some people put wire around the top cut. Is this necessary? I have also seen a post that shows verticle cuts above the layering area that have been lifted with tile spacers to give the base a flared bottom...
Newbie.mia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of qld, toowoomba bonsai group

Post by Newbie.mia »

As I understand it putting the wire around the top causes the sugars in the plant to gather at that point providing more food for the root formation and growth however I have not experimented with this technique yet. Mia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Raymond wrote:I've noticed in other posts that some people put wire around the top cut. Is this necessary? I have also seen a post that shows verticle cuts above the layering area that have been lifted with tile spacers to give the base a flared bottom...
Hi Raymond,
I use wire on certain species of trees. If I am layering a Trident maple or an ordinary Chinese Elm, for instance, I use the wire as well. If you have a look at viewtopic.php?f=104&t=14664&hilit=layering , you will see how I use wire.

Regards Ray
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Ray M wrote:
Raymond wrote:I've noticed in other posts that some people put wire around the top cut. Is this necessary? I have also seen a post that shows verticle cuts above the layering area that have been lifted with tile spacers to give the base a flared bottom...
Hi Raymond,
I use wire on certain species of trees. If I am layering a Trident maple or an ordinary Chinese Elm, for instance, I use the wire as well. If you have a look at viewtopic.php?f=104&t=14664&hilit=layering , you will see how I use wire.

Regards Ray
Thanks again Ray. Ive been to the hardware store and purchased the rooting hormone...
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Ray M wrote: 6/ If you do the layer correctly you will see roots in a fairly short time. These roots appeared after 41days.
DSCN0159-4.jpg
Regards Ray
Hi Raymond,
I just checked in my book and realised that the roots shown in this photo only took 31days.

Regards Ray
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

Ray M wrote:
Ray M wrote: 6/ If you do the layer correctly you will see roots in a fairly short time. These roots appeared after 41days.
DSCN0159-4.jpg
Regards Ray
Hi Raymond,
I just checked in my book and realised that the roots shown in this photo only took 31days.

Regards Ray
Thanks Ray. I will take 2 layers from the tree. One will be below the yellow line you drew on my photo and the other will be the green line...
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Quick question guys - any reason why a cork-bark elm would not airlayer? Should it layer as well as a smooth barked elm?

Thanks,

Andrew
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Post by Beano »

Not sure if i should start my own topic, but I've done my Chinese elm and after 2 weeks there are lots of roots on one side only, the seem to be on top of the moss, not through it, nothing on the other side yet. I was pretty sure all the cambium was off. Now the tips of some roots are browning... Is this normal?
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

The ends of the root brown off if they are exposed to air or light. If the medium is just spag moss I would leave it another 2 weeks and have a look. You have to be careful as the new roots are very delicate. Generally speaking if a layer bridges it won't put out any roots. I would check in a fortnight and see what it looks like then.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Andrew Legg wrote:Quick question guys - any reason why a cork-bark elm would not airlayer? Should it layer as well as a smooth barked elm?

Thanks,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
My experience with cork-bark Chinese Elms has always been very successful. Ordinary smooth bark Chinese Elms, I always add the wire as well.

Regards Ray
Ray M
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Ray M »

Beano wrote:Not sure if i should start my own topic, but I've done my Chinese elm and after 2 weeks there are lots of roots on one side only, the seem to be on top of the moss, not through it, nothing on the other side yet. I was pretty sure all the cambium was off. Now the tips of some roots are browning... Is this normal?
Hi Beano,
It sounds like you haven't got all the cambium off. If you have a look at the photos I posted you will see that I cover them in Aluminium foil. This will help prevent the roots from burning. Make sure you soak your sphagnum moss is Seasol for a half an hour before use. Be generous with the sphagnum.

Regards Ray

Return to “Deciduous”