Unhappy Maple help please

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Unhappy Maple help please

Post by WMC »

Hi All

I trunk chopped and root pruned two larger JM's in August. One seems happy and the other doesnt.

The one that doesnt looked like it was doing ok for 2-3 weeks, but in the last 2 weeks the leaves have really drooped and getting darker. I cant figure it out so looking for advice on what the propblem may be and how to care for it?

Below are pics of bith the trees i trunk chopped so they can be compared for current health.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Unhappy Maple help please

Post by shibui »

It is possible this is just different growth patterns from 2 different types of JM. I have some that react like this after pruning.

The other possibility is a little more nasty. There is a fungal infection that affects JM just after they leaf out. Typically new shoots wilt then die. Telltale signs are black bark on the trunk near ground level. Fungicide may help. One of mine recovered after it was placed up on an airy bench and kept on the dry side for a while.

:fc:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Surgeon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus & Figs
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: Geelong

Post by The Surgeon »

Hi WMC and Shibui,

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like some fert on the soil. You say you root pruned - is there a risk of burning the roots?
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

shibui wrote: September 24th, 2020, 5:58 pm It is possible this is just different growth patterns from 2 different types of JM. I have some that react like this after pruning.

The other possibility is a little more nasty. There is a fungal infection that affects JM just after they leaf out. Typically new shoots wilt then die. Telltale signs are black bark on the trunk near ground level. Fungicide may help. One of mine recovered after it was placed up on an airy bench and kept on the dry side for a while.

:fc:
I’m in eastern suburbs of Melbourne and it has been a bit cold and wet over the past week or so. I’ll protect from the weather and let it dry out a little. :fc:
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

The Surgeon wrote: September 24th, 2020, 6:13 pm Hi WMC and Shibui,

Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like some fert on the soil. You say you root pruned - is there a risk of burning the roots?
No fertiliser used yet. The soil your looking at is just pumice, volcanic rock and pine bark. Was holding off fertilising until mid to late next month.
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

Ok so as per Shibui’s suggestion I think the roots may be to wet. It’s been watered the same as all my other trees which are fine but I’m thinking that the stress of root pruning may have been to much for this tree.
I have placed on the back porch to protect from further rain (has rained for the past 3 days), and I can keep a closer eye on it.

I know it’s late but I’m wondering if potentially my soil mix is to heavy and after the root prune I’m concerned it won’t recover. When watering this tree, water does not pool on top at all, it seems to run into the soil fine.

Is it worth risking doing a quick repot now? Obviously the idea would to check water retention in the bottom of the pot and correct if necessary. A concern is disturbing the roots again as I don’t think it’s been in the pot long enough for the roots to establish much so won’t be holding on to the soil yet. So if I do take it out of the pot I would expect all the soil to fall away from the roots.
Any advice would be appreciated as i have been planning this tree for some time and really dont want to lose it.

Here are some better pics i took this morning:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

I don't have enough experience to comment on the emergency repot but pumice, scoria and bark doesn't sound too heavy (water retentive) to me, especially since you seem to have the same particle sizes for each (although I can't really tell how big they are). This mix should drain well. Given that you have recently repotted, then the tree is not going to be using much water until the growth really kicks off, so keeping it on the drier side is appropriate as suggested. I'm not sure how much root you removed but the extra volume of soil without roots, especially if you put it in a bigger pot, will stay wet. For my JMs, if the soil looks moist, I don't water.

Your first photo shows new buds starting to push. That is a good sign in my opinion.

I hope someone with more experience can answer your repotting question. Good luck.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

At this stage that new soil will almost certainly just fall away from the roots. The problem is that there should also be some really tender new roots emerging and new roots are extremely brittle. They will snap off with very little provocation.
I don't think it is worth the risk. As mentioned your mix sounds fine, just keep it a little on the dry side. I still think it looks more like a different response to the pruning. I can only see 1 leaf with black edges that would indicate a problem - not enough to worry about :imo: (yet)
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey WMC - you might be jumping at ghosts ... or I am going to regret that comment and I have something wrong too.ImageImage See new growth on some of my maples ... some look really strong from the get go then on another tree they come out a bit wrinkly and droopy and then are fine ... just popped out in the courtyard to grab some examples. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

Yeah, the new roots was my concern Shibui.

The drooping leaves was not so much a concern MJL... was more the colour that is bothering me.

Thanks for the advice all... I’ll leave it in the pot and let it dry out a bit. :fc:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I snapped a couple of pics of one of mine today.
IMGP9815.JPG
IMGP9816.JPG
This variety seems to have slightly screwed up leaves. After pruning they get way worse then gradually the new ones get larger and more JM like.
The tree seems to have some dwarf characteristics and does not grow real tall. Internodes are quite short, especially after a cut back but then occasionally it starts to grow normal long internode branches. I assume all that is just the individual characteristics of this individual - something in the genes.
I thought it might be something good for bonsai but have been a bit frustrated with its responses after pruning so maybe not as good as I first thought.
WMC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by WMC »

shibui wrote: September 27th, 2020, 4:22 pm This variety seems to have slightly screwed up leaves. After pruning they get way worse then gradually the new ones get larger and more JM like.
The tree seems to have some dwarf characteristics and does not grow real tall. Internodes are quite short, especially after a cut back but then occasionally it starts to grow normal long internode branches. I assume all that is just the individual characteristics of this individual - something in the genes.
That would be frustrating..... it’s a Forest Gump tree? **like a box of chocolates, never know what your going to get?!? Looks healthy otherwise?

Mine was very consistent with its growth until I did the trunk chop. Leaves seem even darker today, :cry: will give it few days and see what happens.

Return to “Deciduous”