The Love of English Elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

The Love of English Elm

Post by Watto »

Over the years I have had the opportunity to obtain a few yamadori English elms and I really like them as bonsai. They sometimes have a bad reputation but I can't see any downside to them, in fact I find them very rewarding.
I thought I would share a few of my elms and I hope you enjoy them. I have had these for quite a few years and now they are showing the signs of maturity that only a long time in the pot will show - smaller leaves, tight ramification, aged bark, dead wood beauty and, well all the rest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: The Love of English Elm

Post by Watto »

Next up is a smaller one but has all the "age" attributes that I enjoy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

And just more for today.
None of these have been prepared for exhibition because there has not been an opportunity for any exhibitions recently so they are all a bit "fluffy".
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Post by Stu »

Love the third. Well done. :clap:
I have a yamadori one as well but suffers from 2 dimensional nebari. Dug as a runner I expect. I don't have any specific issues with them. They are tough.
Stu
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by juan73870 »

Love them all. Very aspirational :tu:
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Watto »

Thanks for the kind words. They do get a tiny bit of branch die back on the inner parts if there is not enough light (sun) getting in.
All these got a part defoliation last week from a hail storm but luckily you can't see that in the photos.
Pokitren
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Babingtonia Virgata
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Pokitren »

Watto wrote: October 18th, 2021, 2:27 pm Over the years I have had the opportunity to obtain a few yamadori English elms and I really like them as bonsai. They sometimes have a bad reputation but I can't see any downside to them, in fact I find them very rewarding.
I thought I would share a few of my elms and I hope you enjoy them. I have had these for quite a few years and now they are showing the signs of maturity that only a long time in the pot will show - smaller leaves, tight ramification, aged bark, dead wood beauty and, well all the rest.
They look very nice! But they didn't take root with me. Apparently, I overdid it with the water.

Return to “Deciduous”