Spring maples

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Spring maples

Post by treeman »

All repotted and ready to go. Big leaves this spring due to the NEVER ENDING RAIN!!
The bark is starting to turn white here and there which means they are finally maturing.

Otome Zakura..
P1140051.JPG

Kamagata...
P1140052.JPG

Trident...
P1140053.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Spring maples

Post by TimS »

Love the red foliage against the trunk of the Otome Zakura.

Interesting how large the leaves on your Kamagata are too, i briefly had a young one that didn't survive an early ham fisted air layer attempt that had tiny leaves.

i'm still searching for Katsura for the peach spring foliage colour, I tried Yamina but never heard back sadly, but that red against the trunk is dynamite.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Lovely Spring colour, great trees treeman.
Tim, When we can finally move more than 5K, try Bulleen Art and Garden they had them.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

Thanks for the tip, i'll certainly need the 5km limit removed and them to re-open!
bki
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by bki »

awesome trees man. did you repot the today?
more trees.....
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Really like that first tree Mike . You find these cultivers aint a huge fan of full defoliation and generally harder to maintain say then usual mountain maples ?
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I have said it before but that Trident group is one of my favourite group/forest settings. It's true beauty is revealed in winter IMO because I find the the silhouette of the finely ramified winter branches a wonder to see.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Matthew wrote: October 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm Really like that first tree Mike . You find these cultivers aint a huge fan of full defoliation and generally harder to maintain say then usual mountain maples ?
Some are better than others but they can all handle defoliation if they are reasonably young and vigorous and have been repotted in the last season. Usually they don't need it after a while.
The trick with the dwarfs are to repot yearly. That keeps them moving. That Kamagata for example is over 30 and has never missed a repot every year.
Mike
SuperBonSaiyan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by SuperBonSaiyan »

treeman wrote: October 10th, 2020, 11:18 am
Some are better than others but they can all handle defoliation if they are reasonably young and vigorous and have been repotted in the last season. Usually they don't need it after a while.
The trick with the dwarfs are to repot yearly. That keeps them moving. That Kamagata for example is over 30 and has never missed a repot every year.
I just put an air layer on a Kamagata yesterday - do you know why dwarf maples are more vigorous with frequent repotting?

I would have thought the opposite to be true since the roots are being stressed yearly.

Not disagreeing with you, but just wondering why.

My first year trying air layering, but if it works, next year I'll try a thicker branch.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

When we repot we take off some roots and give the tree some room to grow new ones. The new roots tend to be vigorous, which in turn induces vigorous growth. Once trees mature we tend to repot less as we aren't looking for vigorous growth, but slow controlled growth. Any tree that has not been repotted for a number of years will put on more vigorous growth after a repot.

I try and repot trees that I'm developing in nursery pots every year. Even if its just going back into the same size pot. Sometimes its a hard root prune, sometimes only a light one and into a bigger pot for extra growth.

Specific to the Dwarf maples, I assume Treeman suggested it as they tend to be slow, and regular repotting will keep them vigorous and growing as strongly as possible.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Deciduous”