Building a Jacaranda

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Re: Building a Jacaranda

Post by Steven »

MattA wrote:Plans out the window again .. thats what they are for ... the tree to disregard....
(someone had a haiku on there sig about plans & trees disregard, I cant remember or I would credit)
G'day Matt,

That would be...

Watching and guiding
The bonsaist plans a path
His tree disregards
~ Haiku by Japh ~

Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Post by MattA »

Thanks Steven, Thats the one alright... has stuck in my head since the first time I saw it. Sooo very very true!
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

A little over 12months since my last update I thought it was time. After replanting it budded where I wanted but only one or 2 at each point, growth over the season was poor to say the least (additional watering might have helped). Given its poor performance all the growth was cut back to the first set of buds at flowering time and she has since slowly gathered pace, having grown more than last year already & also producing a couple more well placed buds.
100_3770rz.jpg
Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Going thru its winter colour change, growth was good for the year & I can see a definite increase of girth.
100_5029rz.jpg
100_5030rz.jpg
100_5031rz.jpg
I am looking forward to digging it up for more root work this year, from what can be seen it is starting to get some nice basal flare. It still needs many years ground growing but I think its moving in the right direction.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

I was late digging last time & the regrowth showed it, this time round I wanted to get it right so asked someone who knows what he is doing. Thanks mate :beer: It might be time to start a thread of its own ;) :whistle:

Today I got in & prepped a new spot in the back grow beds, soak & a quick trim top & bottom. I am happy with how its progressing and encouraged by the number of fine new roots at the base of the trunk on the right hand side. With a bit of extra feed on that side hopefully they will fill out the trunk & improve the nebari at next dig.
100_5264rz.jpg
Back in the ground & a good soak, now grow your little heart out baby
100_5266rz.jpg
42 Mice ~Imperfection
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Coming along Matt. I would be tempted to make a new leader with that middle one :whistle:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

bodhidharma wrote:Coming along Matt. I would be tempted to make a new leader with that middle one :whistle:
:whistle: ;) :lol:
42 Mice ~Imperfection
time8theuniverse
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Bendigo

Post by time8theuniverse »

I had seen this one. Its one of the reasons that my club members all have one to work on.

There is something about childhood trees, it seems most people have one or two. I should add a walnut to my wish list of bonsai :lost: .

Is it me, or is there something of the 'blue lagoon' to Jacaranda. Either way, I was inspired to wire my Jacs today and they are coming along. My current plan is for the 3rd Sunday in April but I might try a wedge cut after that. Any advice? :cool:
Patience is often a surprise.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by beanwagon »

Any updates? I am trying to train one at the moment.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

beanwagon wrote:Any updates? I am trying to train one at the moment.
Not in this one as the OP was banned from the forum.

My own Jacarandah is described in this thread here viewtopic.php?f=129&t=5621

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries

Return to “Deciduous”