chinese penjin 1

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Re: chinese penjin 1

Post by stymie »

Since I got old and creaky, I am unable to lift the big stuff so like many more that is not in my possession.
If I had known that I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. :roll:
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

Getting back to the topic... the penjing looks a little contrived, in my view, for two reasons:

1. The arch formed by the big root looks too big to be possible in nature, given the comparative size of the figurines in the foreground and under the arch.
2. There is a problem with the grain of the rocks. There are layers or strata in the rocks that run at different angles. This is a problem if you look carefully at natural geological formations. The angle of the strata should look consistent from one rock to the nexy.

They are mistakes that Robert Steven does not make in the compositions he included in his book "Vision of My Soul".
I know I'm being a little picky but that's what I see when I look at the photo.

Positives are that the branching and taper on the trees is very good and that the other landscaping is of a high quality.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by Marc »

Hi all, i enjoy Penjing, I have a few pics on my other computer of particular scenes I like. if I can remember I'll post them.

But getting back to a plant that can send out lots of root suckers, how about a Liquid Amber, they send out lots of shoots. Maybe find an old dead trunk and I am sure there will be lots of shoots growing off it.

Jon, not sure about up north as it is a deciduous tree....

Actually, at Gardenworld (one of my Meccas) there is a nice Penjing from an ancient English Elm... looking for a pic now...

sorry, no pic... But I have a small Chinese Elm that sends out suckers all the time....
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

hector thanks for contibuting, they are very interesting and valid points. i had never noticed the rocks. the arching root as much as i like it, i agree it is not natural in perspective. :D

marc thankyou also, yes penjin is wonderful.

stymie i meant a bigger photo. its great you have lived longer than you thought, see we can be invinsible :roll: :lol: .
Regards Antonio:
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

I think that as a mystical type of composition it is great.
Hector pointed out the issue with the rocks and when pointed out it definately is an obvious mistake (or is it, after reading how the masters intentionally leave an imperfection in their work). I think scale wise it is very good, not perfect but very good. The taper achieved on the individual trees is pretty good, maybe a little to up and down if anything. The amount of wood showing is detracting from the scene and could be overcome easily. If it were mine...i'd be a happy camper! This is stepping over the hobby line and more into the artistry side of things for sure.
Peter
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

peter glad you could make it. go raffa :!: mystical is the right word. this setting definately transports you to a mystical place. if you are to blow this photo up as wallpaper you will find it has much more depth than appears in the smaller shot. already i have learned stuff that i was otherwise ignorant to and this has been my wallpaper for at least a couple of years now. i never really pulled it apart to this extent. instead i'd just jump on for the ride and love it. :D
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

Jon Chown wrote: I have to admit to 'having a go' at this but unfortunately in Queensdland there is a decided lack of availability of the large white marble trays. I have managed to purchase 2 rectangular ones but they are too small to be able to create any scene of significance. Perhaps I need to think outside the square and design something more Australian.
http://www.reddragonbonsai.com/shop/7-u ... onsai-pots
try that.
Young and hostile but not stupid.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn

Post by Marc »

Antonio, I thought I had some penjing pics, but these were the ones I was thinking of - they really bring the surroundings of a tree into the "piece of art" - I think anyways... I like how the ground and small rocks, gravel, growing up roots (in a nice way), tiny accent plants, can really contribute to where a tree could be growing in the wild.

So these trees I would not call Penjing, however, in their own category, they do what Penjing does, and create a landscape, with a single tree.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

both very nice marc, lovem thanks for sharing them :!: :D
Last edited by anttal63 on February 3rd, 2009, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

here's a couple more. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Antonio:
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Can't say Penjing is my thing and I find The Arch de Trioumph' more than a bit disconcerting. So much so that I'm brandishing my side cutters knowing that they will never cut through the screen... Without that arch, which is distracting and, to me, meaningless, the setting could be very nice as the trees and the rocks relate well to each other. Ahhhh well, to each his own......
Last edited by MelaQuin on February 4th, 2009, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh Taafe
Maverick
Maverick
Bonsai Age: 36
Bonsai Club: NBPCA

Post by Leigh Taafe »

I know its a crap setting - but I just ran into an updated pic of the juniper setting I posted back there. Its another crap pic - took it with my phone (Pat Kennedy will laugh!). :oops:
Juni Setting.jpg
Cheers,
Leigh.
Cheers,
Leigh.

Return to “Deciduous”