Big Trident stump

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Re: Big Trident stump

Post by Bretts »

1 out of 2 aint bad I knew you must have a picture. You can just never be sure how someone will react to being being called out as anal though :P
I would really like a pic of the scar.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

haha aus bonsai forums are so much better, you can see the aussie larakin comin out. haha that could have spelled verbal warfare on other forums. ive decided after lurking so long on this site i need to start posting more and being bed ridden at the moment after having 4 wisdom teeth out this morning is an excellent opportunity. i used to post a bit at bonsatalk a while back. peter your maple stump is excellent i bought a nice little maple stump at the goldy aabc convention two years ago for a very reasonable price and it is amazing how well it has developed, i found thread grafting took only two months for branches to set and be seperated and the wounds healed extremely quick so i think it wont be long untill we see a very nice tree. ill be interested to see your root grafting techniques as i am planing to undergo the same treatment on my stump. are you planning naturalistic styling or a bonsai styled 123 traditional tree?

goodluck mate
jarryd
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

jarryd wrote:haha aus bonsai forums are so much better, you can see the aussie larakin comin out. haha that could have spelled verbal warfare on other forums. ive decided after lurking so long on this site i need to start posting more and being bed ridden at the moment after having 4 wisdom teeth out this morning is an excellent opportunity. i used to post a bit at bonsatalk a while back. peter your maple stump is excellent i bought a nice little maple stump at the goldy aabc convention two years ago for a very reasonable price and it is amazing how well it has developed, i found thread grafting took only two months for branches to set and be seperated and the wounds healed extremely quick so i think it wont be long untill we see a very nice tree. ill be interested to see your root grafting techniques as i am planing to undergo the same treatment on my stump. are you planning naturalistic styling or a bonsai styled 123 traditional tree?

goodluck mate
jarryd
Hi Jarryd, Welcome to AusBonsai mate. Thanks fo the comments. Yes it will be pretty much a traditional type. Would love to see some progressions on yours some time. Hope the mouth feels better soon mate, wisdom teeth can cause some pain!
Peter
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

haha yeh no worries mate ill post up some pics once my camera is back. waterproof to ten metres my ass it leaked while i was bodyboarding ohwell hopefully warantee fixes it cos my pockets wont be happy if it doesnt :shock:
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Any chance of a picture of that scar yet Peter?
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Hector Johnson
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Hector Johnson »

Message Deleted
Last edited by Hector Johnson on March 2nd, 2009, 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Sorry i thought you might have gone to BT to see it, i will take a pic today.
Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:Sooooo can we have a look at the scar?

This was after the initial carving a few weeks after i got it.
Peter
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

That is a much smaller scar than I would have expected looking at the front. I believe I will have much bigger issues than this on mine. Can I hit you up for a side view :|
I did check out BT but only found the same front views?
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

soltan wrote:That is a much smaller scar than I would have expected looking at the front. I believe I will have much bigger issues than this on mine. Can I hit you up for a side view :|
I did check out BT but only found the same front views?
That is a side view.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher

Post by Bretts »

Side view of the scar then?
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

The front view of the tree is the image you are asking for then Brett, the scar is on the right side of the tree, not the back.
daiviet_nguyen
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Ficuses, Maples, Azaleas
Bonsai Club: None

Post by daiviet_nguyen »

Hi Peter,

Are you considering grafting at all?

I have seen a graft carried out on a trident stump fairly big -- around 15 cm.

The trident that was grafted onto the stump was around 8 mm. It was in its own roots
while being grafted.

I am not suggesting you do grafting. It is just another option that is available to us.

Best regards.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

daiviet_nguyen wrote:Hi Peter,

Are you considering grafting at all?

I have seen a graft carried out on a trident stump fairly big -- around 15 cm.

The trident that was grafted onto the stump was around 8 mm. It was in its own roots
while being grafted.

I am not suggesting you do grafting. It is just another option that is available to us.

Best regards.
Hello Viet,
Yes i am considering doing several grafts with this one, both thread grafts and also root grafts. They are lots of work (this type of stump) but i hope i will end up with a nice tree as an outcome.
Regards
Peter
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

:arrow: i cannot see any of your pics peter....
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.

Return to “Deciduous”