Seiju elm stock trees

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Re: Seiju elm stock trees

Post by anttal63 »

GREAT JOB BRENDAN!!! WORTH EVERY CENT!!! :D
Regards Antonio:
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

At less than $50.00 a year that is a bargain. As has been said you get what you pay for even when you collect it.
When I started there was nothing like this available, here in the West still is not. Though in 5 years there will be just hope I am here. :D Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

I'll have to bring one with me when I finnally make it back that way. Maybe we can swap ;) :D
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
Milehigh_7
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Anything that will grow in 46C+ and 5% humidity
Bonsai Age: 17

Post by Milehigh_7 »

I would agree a good purchase. Here is something to consider.

You are buying literally years of work. $41.66 per year is not much to pay someone for a year of work. Let's say you buy a $15-20 starter, work on it for twelve years you might have a tree at this stage if it lives through droughts, bugs and other unfortunate things.

Or you can buy this and work those same twelve years and have something really remarkable.
brenden
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Chinese Elm
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by brenden »

Hi Milehigh (don't know your human name sorry!)

On current rates it's only US$318.82 or US$31.81 per year for you :). Forget the $3,000 and 14 hour plane trip price on top, but you'll get to meet forum folk so surely that's worth it :)

P.S. Love Vegas! But, not the heat. :) I visited Vegas in mid July. Yep, call me silly and slap me with a wet towel! Actually a wet towel would have been great in that heat! I was most distressed when I learn't they shut down the Star Trek rides and museme at the Hilton down the end of the strip. That was a highlight of my trip there. Yes, trekie at heart!

<< beam me up >>
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

Here is another one from the same batch, dont know if there is anymore left, but i do know that i will regret not getting one of these.
Peter
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

I'm totally rapt in this art form but I would find it hard to contenance my spending $500 for a stock plant. I have to admit, I've spent up to $125 [and got burned on that purchase!!] and at times would have liked to have been able to spend more but a lot of times dearer is bigger and I don't want bigger... so it's a great face saving out. But YES, you have to spend more to get better unless you are lucky. Don't read me wrong, I'm NOT knocking paying mucho buckos for a really nice plant... it's just not my thing [says She who dropped $400 on a free pedigree cat in one week... but the cat cuddles and trees don't!!].

I do have great fun prowling around Leong Kwong's $195-$450 junipers and just dreaming. But again... pay that money and you are getting a tree larger than I want to handle. But good on those who do it....
brenden
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by brenden »

All comments are fair and valid :)

Peter - nice tree... Did Leong style this tree?
Russ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus

Post by Russ »

Just a question for Peter and Brendan.. Did you both style your trees at Leong's place because that red wall seems awfully familiar :P
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams....
Arthur O'Shaughnessy
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

MelaQuin wrote:[says She who dropped $400 on a free pedigree cat in one week... but the cat cuddles and trees don't!!]. Insane!

But again... pay that money and you are getting a tree larger than I want to handle. But good on those who do it....
Most of these Seiju's are actually small, around the 30cm mark!
Peter
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

brenden wrote:All
Did Leong style this tree?
He did.
brenden
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by brenden »

Hi,

Yep it was styled at Leong's nursery. I sit up the back out of the way of the main nursery. Usually myself and my beautiful wife! It's quiet there, surrounded by lots of inspiration, and not to mention with the wisdom of Leong near by. Here is my concept sketch before the trimmers met the branches.
DSC04970(rd).jpg
Sketching is the way to go! Lot's of sketching come up Peter, Jon and Hector :)

Leong also shared a good trick with me that I am sure the long timers of the forum employ, but as a trainee it was new to me.

Leong suggested tying a plastic bag tie around the branches you want to keep before you start to cut away particularly when the stock you are starting with has so many branches. Helps keep you focused on what you are keeping and what will soon be gone.

I'm very fortunate to have a great mentor. I also see this wonderful forum as an extension of my learning so thank you to everyone for sharing your great ideas!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

PeterW wrote:Here is another one from the same batch, dont know if there is anymore left, but i do know that i will regret not getting one of these.
Peter
me too pete ! :( ;)
Regards Antonio:

Return to “Deciduous”