My new Chinese elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: My new Chinese elm

Post by Beano »

Well I was just going to make it an informal upright, I even wired a new apex. I'm no expert, so while I appreciate all the suggestions, some are a little ambitious for me and I really like this tree, so it might just be one of those ones that I leave be and see what it becomes over the years (if it lives, LOL!).

How old do you all think it is so far?
lackhand
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese maple
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai

Post by lackhand »

I'm a strong believer in the simplest treatments and knowing your limitations, so I would say you have chosen wisely. Once you've kept it alive for a few years, then you can reevaluate to see if it has become what you want, or needs more aggressive treatment. Great piece of stock by the way, having lots of options is a great kind of problem to have. :tu:
Cheers, Karl
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

and we're back online! But my elm has changed... not sure if it is normal, but some of the leaves are turning brown and crispy while others are fine, and its sending out new shoots here and there, so I don't think its quite cold enough for winter leaf dropping yet. Some are yellow but others are just plain dying. It also looks a bit more sparse. Am I watering too much? I water daily in the mornings, but the soil in the pot it came in seems pretty muddy and is rather dense even when dry. It's not a fast draining soil. I have attached some pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kcpoole on May 20th, 2013, 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Re uploaded to have it reiszed
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Sorry about the huge photos - I did resize them, I think the website isn't doing its usual shrink down...
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by MoGanic »

Just looks like the tree is a little confused - the weathers definitely been wierd this year.

Once it has dropped it's leaves and you see the new buds about to get going (just before spring), bare root the tree and trim some of the roots, then repot into a good free draining mix.

-Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

kcpoole wrote:I would keep the lower trun intact and look at shortening to Rays second line and regrow the top from there

Ken
This is definitely the best suggestion in my opinion. The final tree it would create would be magnificent with such a great look after a few years. After looking at it, I was like, wow, what a start to the trunk, good to see I must suffer from Ken Brain.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

From what I can see in the humungus pics the tree is OK. Perhaps it is root bound and if it hasn't been repotted in a few years the soil can sort of turn in a fine humus like substance. I would keep watering as you are, then in winter repot into a free draining mix with some diatomite in it.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Ok great, thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Ok fixed the photos for you and think it is normal for yours to be wierd :-).
the brown leaves just look like getting rid of the old ones and growing anew.
Being in Brissy, I doubt that it will go deciduous at all. I am wesern sydney and gets down to only about 1-2 deg minimum here, and my Chinese elms do not go Decid at all.

Most of the street trees here do not either. Not cold enough, for long enough

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

I like Olivecrazy's solution. :hooray: That will make a fantastic tree and the bonus is that it is something different. We see SO many trees that all look the same. Let's mix it up a bit folks.
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Beano wrote:Well I was just going to make it an informal upright, I even wired a new apex. I'm no expert, so while I appreciate all the suggestions, some are a little ambitious for me and I really like this tree, so it might just be one of those ones that I leave be and see what it becomes over the years (if it lives, LOL!).

How old do you all think it is so far?
Hey Beano,

A word of advice from someone that regrets not having followed it: Nothing is too complicated for a beginner!!!!!

Air layering is SO easy that it's almost funny. Do it at the right time and it's almost a done deal. I'm not sure I'd do 5 at once, but it's simple.

Doing what Olivecrazy showed you with that stunning maple is simple. Just plant sideways, whip some bark off and a bit of rooting hormone and off you go. These are simple. Don't let them intimidate you.

The thing I regret most is not having been more adventurous from day one. You will lose more trees this way of course, but you'll have SO MUCH more fun and get SO MUCH more from your bonsai!

Of course, all that said, you need to do what you want to do, and that's a case of personal taste. Look at what you think you'll like and then learn the techniques to get there. They are easier than you think!
:tu:
Cheers,

Andrew
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

Yeah I'm still picking a new top for it. Thinking of air layering where the trunk comes back to neutral or chopping it there if I get a new branch and growing a new trunk line. Just glad it's not dying.

Thanks for fixing my pictures!

Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

My new Chinese elm

Post by Beano »

Would now be a good time to check out the roots? It's still got sparse foliage, but there is no more leaf yellowing. It has slowed down, I guess because it is winter.

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Leave it until it at least goes nude. Some people have differing opinions - some say wait until the first buds burst while others do it when the leaves have all dropped. Here in Brissy I would leave it until Late July unless you see new buds. Being a chinese elm they are pretty well bulletproof but a little patience will go a long way Grasshopper :lol:
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper

Post by Guy »

use your engineering skills to make a solid trunk bender--(the straight section bend towards the camera)--probably take a couple of seasons to bend it enough------- :fc: -and change the planting angle to the right

Return to “Deciduous”