Crepe Myrtle progression

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Crepe Myrtle progression

Post by Matt S »

This Crepe Myrtle was dug from my front yard in 2011 where it was growing in the shade and was all tall and strappy. I have no idea how long it had been there but we bought the house in 2004 so it's at least that old. It wasn't until I cleared away the leaf litter at the base that I realised what an interesting base it had so I happily dug it up and placed it in a container while my wife rolled her eyes.

I have no experience with Crepe Myrtles so much of what I know was gathered from these forums and particularly useful was finding out how frequently they can be trimmed back to a single pair of leaves over the growing season and how quickly they can ramify. I started doing this in 2017 and by June 2017 it looked like this:
Crepe Myrtle June 2017.JPG
Today I pruned and wired this season's growth. The long branch near the base is taking a while to thicken so I haven't touched it.
crepe myrtle June 2019 before wiring.jpg
crepe myrtle June 2019 after wiring.jpg
The growth around the pruning scars is starting to accelerate so I'm keen to start working on them. Does anyone have any good examples of how they should look? I haven't been able to find a decent picture of deadwood.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Crepe Myrtle progression

Post by melbrackstone »

HI Matt, nice tree! I've found that I can clip the CM's back a few times over the growing season, as long as they're growing strongly enough. Let them lengthen where you want the branch to thicken, and cut them back less, until you have the right size....

I'll be honest, I've taken a lot of the growth on mine back to the trunk, so I can regrow the branches without so many straight long lengths. Your tree doesn't appear to suffer with that problem, so you're well ahead of the game there. Wiring the branch before it hardens up is not a good idea... I tend to use weights instead of wire when the branches are still green. :lol:

Good luck, I look forward to seeing this tree develop!
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Nice ! ....but I would cat it back a bit harder. Build the branches slower...I know it's hard to do :cry:
At this stage you should be only up to your second ramification, maybe starting the third....IMO
Last edited by treeman on June 3rd, 2019, 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

but I would cut it back a bit harder. Build the branches slower.
Yeah, you're right. Even when I was taking the photo I felt like a little Treeman was sitting on my shoulder whispering "Cut it back harder!".

I'll have another go. :tu:

Matt.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Matt S wrote: Even when I was taking the photo I felt like a little Treeman was sitting on my shoulder whispering "Cut it back harder!".

I'll have another go. :tu:

Matt.
Ok, I’m the first to admit that I’m a reasonably different unit but Matt... fairdinkum - suggesting you have a little Treeman on your shoulder! Good luck sleeping...

My bet is that the bloke on your shoulder will give a clip behind the ear just for a bit fun! Just as you’re drifting off the sleep, the dude on your shoulder ...”Hey Matt” (whack) .. what?! “Hey Matt ... cut back “ shhh, I’m trying to sleep ... “Matt, Matt ... cut back”.

At least you ‘re getting good advice, it’s like live podcast from one of the best, you’ll be a Bonsai master by morning... albeit a bit tired! :-)

And yep, I’m passing time on the train home again. Sorry for rambling. :-)

By the way - excellent stock - I look forward to watching the progress.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Matt S »

I trimmed this up today after the last leaves fell off. A couple of shoots down low were left to thicken up but now they’re ready to cut back, but come spring when the buds fatten up I’ll take some of the shoots back further, and that straight section on the right apex will need to go (why didn’t I do that before? Oh well). The buds this time of year can be really small and hard to see, especially at the tips. Ramification develops quickly on these Crepe Myrtles, I’m really enjoying the progress.

44D062AD-5305-4B72-B3A0-6D8977B59534.jpeg

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Deciduous”