Trident Maple pot change

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Trident Maple pot change

Post by Pearcy001 »

I think the issue with the lower branch may be that you have essentially two branches coming from the same spot where the branch meets the trunk. One of those branches comes straight out toward the viewer blocking the view of that lower trunk. May be worth trying to manipulate that branch to sit back in toward the tree or remove it (the one coming forward). Keep in mind you don't want 2D left and right branching only, but the current branch is 'eye poking' from looking at the photo. Maybe even rotating the tree slightly in the pot will assist? Just food for thought.

Cheers,
Pearcy.
Last edited by Pearcy001 on November 3rd, 2019, 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Double up.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

No radical decisions made on the lower branch, but i came home today to find the tree had dried out and had folded all the leaves up.

This is the second time it's done it in the small pot, and given it was less than 20 degrees today i decided that it was probably safest to move it into a slightly bigger pot for now and keep an eye out for another, larger, pot for it when i'm in Japan.

For now i just slipped it out of the Koyo pot, and put it in this old thing i had laying around. It will make my life much less stressful in summer so that's a good thing, even though i preferred the tree in the smaller pot. Got to put the health of the tree first though.

A pot change within a thread about a pot change, while planning a further pot change. Pot change-ception.
trinov19c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Surprising as I didn't think the other pot was overly small.
You could have tried sitting the pot on top of a gravel water bath - this works for my smaller more problematic trees.
I'm Melbourne based as well.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

As Maxwell Smart might say: "Ah, the old two pot trick!" ... consciously or sub-consciously, I am pretty sure you're just ensuring you buy yet another pot on your next visit to Japan. :whistle: ;)
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

Boics wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:39 pm Surprising as I didn't think the other pot was overly small.
You could have tried sitting the pot on top of a gravel water bath - this works for my smaller more problematic trees.
I'm Melbourne based as well.
Yes I’m rather surprised too, it was snug but not constricted in any way in the pot. I expected that result midsummer, certainly not now. The roots seem healthy enough, but it’s just easier to swap the pot now and work on how I can do better later.

The water bath is something I will try when we get into the really hot weather for sure.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

MJL wrote: November 13th, 2019, 8:43 pm As Maxwell Smart might say: "Ah, the old two pot trick!" ... consciously or sub-consciously, I am pretty sure you're just ensuring you buy yet another pot on your next visit to Japan. :whistle: ;)
The old two pot trick indeed! I don’t think I really need a reason to buy more pots, but it’s sure good to have one.

Seriously though I’d generally rather use pots than keep them on shelves, but for now I’ll give the tree some space to get going and i’ll revisit the pot question again at a later date
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by TimS »

I'd kind of forgotten about this thread!

A year and a half on since the last post on this tree and it doesn't look wildly different. It's still in this same pot but i'm considering going to something wider and shallower as this pot now seems like the 'show' pot for the tree not the everyday pot for the tree. I think this is evidenced by the fact it hasn't developed much more ramification than it had 2 years ago; the growth rate is pretty slow now. I love this pot as much as when i got it, so it will be a bummer to not see a tree in it, but i think the health of the tree needs to come first. I have a shallower and wider tokoname Yamafusa kicking around somewhere but the glaze is nowhere near as interesting as this one.

I didn't end up removing the lower branch but it is still weak compared to the rest of them, so this year i'm going to let it run a bit and see if it can pick up in health.

As usual my crappy photos do no justice to the trees, this is quite a sweet little tree in person.
trident ror.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Deciduous”