Turkish oak

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Turkish oak

Post by Brett1994 »

Chasing some advice will post a picture when I get home, new to bonsai been reading heaps of info haven’t found much on Turkish oaks, recurved it as a gift already in a bonsai pot, is it possible or a good idea to put the oak into a grow pot to try and get some girth on the trunk of the bonsai? And if possible to get any extra tips and such for caring for it, already got some Fertiliser on the way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Turkish oak

Post by Brett1994 »

Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brett1994 »

I know it’s not huge or probably the best one to start with but I want to try and do something with it any info or advice would be great

KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Bret,
You haven’t advised your location so hard to give you too much info. To be safe if you want to act on it now you could just slip pot it or wait until Autumn and do a proper repot into a grow pot. Turkish Oak aren’t as deciduous as English Oak, pending on region your in. Some can lose their leaves others 50% and others not as all. One thing for sure if you want to increase size take in out of the little bonsai pot its currently in.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brett1994 »

Sorry I’m in Brisbane

terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Is that surface layer loose particles or a solid hard layer? If the latter, you should remove it ASAP so you can water properly.
Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brett1994 »

It’s a loose layer of small pebbles

Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Hi Brett and welcome to Ausbonsai.
If you are new to bonsai may I assume that you don't have many bonsai? If the answer is yes I would recommend that you keep this one in the pot it is in and enjoy it while you work out the best method for you to give it sufficient water and fertilizer. Being in Brisbane is a lot different weather than where I am so I can't recommend a watering "schedule" as such but watering is the most critical aspect of bonsai care. Keep it outside close to where you go often and enjoy it every day as you go past it. A daily check is always a good idea.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brett1994 »

Gets pretty hot during the day so been checking morning and afternoon to make sure it’s watered enough, currently think it’s struggling if I leave it in the sun while I’m at work as it’s not a very big pot

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Hi Brett and welcome. Has been a little humid here in Brissy lately :palm: Which side of the river are you from ? Best advice I can give you is to come along to Bimer's next meeting on Saturday March 7th. Joining a bonsai club is essential for newbies - there is so much support from other members. We have all been there and started off with little or no knowledge and plenty of enthusiasm.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brett1994 »

Bougy Fan wrote:Hi Brett and welcome. Has been a little humid here in Brissy lately :palm: Which side of the river are you from ? Best advice I can give you is to come along to Bimer's next meeting on Saturday March 7th. Joining a bonsai club is essential for newbies - there is so much support from other members. We have all been there and started off with little or no knowledge and plenty of enthusiasm.
Just over the south side of the river near Tingalpa, does it cost anything to come along to the meeting?

Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

No cost come and introduce yourself. You can even have a free cup of tea and coffee and one of Merv's cakes at afternoon tea time. We are having an all day workshop starting at 9.00am. Focusing on getting trees ready for our annual show which is in April on the 18th and 19th.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brett1994 »

Is it possible to bring mine along to get recommendations and such on the day? More than happy to come and have a chat
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bougy Fan »

Any person and any disease free trees are welcome.
Regards Tony

Brett1994
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Brett1994 »

Bougy Fan wrote:Any person and any disease free trees are welcome.
Was told this was far spot on a Facebook group so sprayed it with a bit of anti fungal wondering what your opinion was this was 3-4 days ago

Return to “Deciduous”