Japanese Elm (Zelkova)

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Japanese Elm (Zelkova)

Post by pureheart »

Hello friends I need some help or your opinion on what direction I should take with this Japanese elm... do you think I should go for an informal upright or broom style?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Japanese Elm (Zelkova)

Post by TimS »

This looks remarkably similar to a tree I have in the ground at the moment that is being left to grow (and magically become an amazing bonsai) while I think about what to do.

I’ll be keen to watch what people suggest
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

I'd recommend informal upright as your trunk line is not bang upright. There is some feeling that Zelcova should only be used for broom style but there are many examples of informal upright and they look great. Just my two bobs worth.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Pureheart, thank you for the post. My questions is largely selfish as I have three similar Japanese maples (but I think the answers may inform you too (so I don't mean to hijack the thread) but could you cut at the first branch and start again with the new branch as the leader and then create whatever style you would like on a young tree such as this? If so, would an elm be cut at the red line and a maple at the blue line to allow for die back (on a Japanese maple)? See below.
e48571d543dae5d63d0857aa195ec9c0.jpeg
And a follow up question, could the cut me made now or best to wait for bud burst in early spring?

I think it might be possible, I saw a video once of a gentleman (Vietnamese, I think) do something similar and make a lovely shohin cascade and an lovely informal upright from two very similar young trees but I cannot remember what species. :lost:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I'm with Watto here. For those that are not aware, broom style is a formal upright style for deciduous trees. To be considered broom the trunk should be vertical and straight. Nebari is important and branches flow up and out to create an umbrella canopy.
That's broom style. It has a pretty strict definition however you can grow a tree in any shape you want. If you want a tree with an umbrella canopy and a bent trunk then you are entitled to do it. Just don't call it broom style.
Traditionally zelkova was almost always grown as broom style because that's the natural shape of this species. I notice that there are more Japanese zelkova bonsai that are not broom style. Younger, innovative bonsai artists are challenging the accepted codes of traditional bonsai in many aspects, including what styles suit zelkova.

FWIW I would not make radical trunk chops just to straighten this trunk. Not only is it a waste of material, there's also a good chance it may not work out as expected.
I would be happy to develop this as an informal upright but with rising zelkova like branches - sort of a cross between broom and informal upright. If the traditionalists want to challenge the validity of the style :P

Trunks also tend to straighten as they thicken. They grow faster on insides of curves and slower on the outsides so as this one develops some of that curve may even disappear. Who knows, in future it may even get straight enough to fit into traditional broom style parameters.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pureheart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest

Post by pureheart »

Thanks Shibui and Watto that’s what I grew this tree for... informal upright but then I was questioning my choice but I’m glad I asked so I’m now reinforced in my original decision!
Upright it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Deciduous”