Did I kill it already? - Chinese Elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
DreamOnElmSt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Did I kill it already? - Chinese Elm

Post by DreamOnElmSt »

In Perth. I got this thing as a gift on February 8th from Bunnings. Exact details below of how I've (mis)-treated it. Would like some advice on pruning it / soil additives to keep this thing alive please! :fc:

The story...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Initially had it inside for three days (sometimes with AC on). Then put it outside on an East facing balcony four stories up, quite windy. It is slightly shaded but the weather has been hot. See the third photo for the shade. Thin mesh screens. After lunch it gets no direct sunlight.

I only watered it twice in the first 12 days thinking that was all it needed. Then the leaves started to curl and I checked the soil, very dry.

Since then I've been misting it's body with a spray bottle and watering it once or twice a day. Now I think I've over watered it as the water just came flooding out the base. :palm:

The leaves are falling off and I'm not sure the best course to try and save it.

Thank you

6 Days ago
Higher resolution: https://i.imgur.com/MYYzqol.jpg

Today
Higher resolution: https://i.imgur.com/1a2b9rO.jpg

Shade
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Did I kill it already? - Chinese Elm

Post by melbrackstone »

Stick it in a bucket of water and let it soak overnight, then let it drain. Water it thoroughly, daily, while it's hot....if there are no shoots on it within the next two weeks, it's dead....
DreamOnElmSt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DreamOnElmSt »

melbrackstone wrote: February 24th, 2020, 8:00 pm Stick it in a bucket of water and let it soak overnight, then let it drain. Water it thoroughly, daily, while it's hot....if there are no shoots on it within the next two weeks, it's dead....
Thanks for the quick reply. Will trimming it down at this stage help? And should I keep it out of the sun?
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

Maybe don't water it daily, since the leaves are not going to be transpiring....soz. I'd just keep it out on the balcony for the next couple of weeks to give it its best chance. Elms are tough, but seriously, you have given it a very very difficult start...

Clip it back too, if you wish...

While you're waiting, check out how to water your plants on youtube, and how to best give them a chance to survive. There's lots of info here too. Just keep in mind it's a tree, and trees need light, air and water at the very least.
DreamOnElmSt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DreamOnElmSt »

I scratched back a small piece of bark and it is still green! A good sign?

Higher resolution: https://i.imgur.com/nMjhwRX.jpg
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Cutting off the long dead shoots won't hurt and may make the tree concentrate regrowth efforts near to the trunk where shoots are more use.
Misting the trunk is no use at all. The roots need the water.
Dry soil just lets water run through without wetting. Always soak dry soil then water the soil as often as required. Soil needs to almost dry out before more water. The black glued on stones make it very difficult to water properly and to check the soil when to water again. I would recommend pulling those off.

Chinese elms are tough. Usually the come back from almost dead but I see that the trunk is a bit wrinkled. That is usually a sign that you have reacted a bit ate and it is too far gone. Green is a good sign but not always reliable. Best to give it a month or so of good care to see if you have Lazarus there.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

What shibui said. :)

:fc:
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

If the gifter still has the receipt (or other proof of purchase) you can take this back to Bunnings for a full refund as they have a "plant promise" - that being 12 month return policy on all plants, even the dead ones…
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by melbrackstone »

If the gifter still has the receipt (or other proof of purchase) you can take this back to Bunnings for a full refund as they have a "plant promise" - that being 12 month return policy on all plants, even the dead ones…
Best option yet!
Mbunro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Mbunro »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: February 24th, 2020, 10:14 pm If the gifter still has the receipt (or other proof of purchase) you can take this back to Bunnings for a full refund as they have a "plant promise" - that being 12 month return policy on all plants, even the dead ones…
i heard about this the other day... do you think they would honour it if you bought in some heavily bent and sharid junipers? could push way past my comfort point if i knew they would be replaced no questions asked ha.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Mbunro wrote: February 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm i heard about this the other day... do you think they would honour it if you bought in some heavily bent and sharid junipers? could push way past my comfort point if i knew they would be replaced no questions asked ha.
Pretty much it depends on the person serving you - sometimes you'll get whatever returned no questions asked, other times the person wants to be difficult. Generally they're pretty awesome when it comes to returns, so worth a shot I say!
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

greg27 wrote: February 26th, 2020, 4:17 pm
Mbunro wrote: February 26th, 2020, 3:01 pm i heard about this the other day... do you think they would honour it if you bought in some heavily bent and sharid junipers? could push way past my comfort point if i knew they would be replaced no questions asked ha.
Pretty much it depends on the person serving you - sometimes you'll get whatever returned no questions asked, other times the person wants to be difficult. Generally they're pretty awesome when it comes to returns, so worth a shot I say!
I'm guessing the return policy is justified by the ridiculously overpriced ticket prices to start with? Have you seen the quality of Bonsai stock...Yikes!
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Post by rodm »

Really. You killed it not them :shifty: :x
DreamOnElmSt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by DreamOnElmSt »

The bonsai was a gift and the value is in the specific plant. If it dies and I return it and get a new one it's not really the same thing.

And yes, I should have taken better care of a gift if I apparently valued it to begin with but I'm a dickhead. :tu:
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

You don’t say where your from? So a bit difficult to judge bounce back. Sit it on a tray and water every time the tray is dry. Until/if it buds back then water daily until leaves fall off in Autumn. Then reduce water to every third day unless its still on your balcony then water daily. Plants on balconies dry out due to wind and sun. Don’t keep it inside!
Cut off the dead leaves leaving the stems also reduce the branches. Remove the stupid black rocks that the green shed decorate their bonsai’s with they create trouble especially when glued on. Once removed you could also top up with a bit of soil to cover the roots. Elms as a general rule will bounce back I don’t believe this one is past help.
If you want to grow bonsai on balconies then repot into a deeper pot. Also in summer sit on a tray of water and mulch with a bit of sphagnum moss. This will help with drying out. You still have to water daily and on the really hot summer days place it in the shade under a table/chair etc..... don’t bother with misting its a waste of time water till the water runs freely.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.

Return to “Deciduous”