Japanese Maples ... Three New Beginnings

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Japanese Maples ... Three New Beginnings

Post by MJL »

Sometime last year I purchased three Japanese maples, $8 each and that was probably $6 each too much. :palm:

My justification, I thought that I may need them for forest I was building. Then, decided against it. The trees were probably 60-80cm high all relatively uninspiring. Through spring and summer they have been growing well but growing into a void of boring nothingness.

Yet again, I had managed to part way with around $25 and I may as well have flushed it down the toilet. Looking for inspiration, I cut them back hard in spring and again in early summer, figuring I didn't go hard enough in spring. I don't have photos from back then.

Today I decided to sh!t or get off the potty (to use the toilet analogy for a second time in this thread).

I am recording it here (the trees, not the activity on the potty!) for a couple of reasons...

1. To remind people to think before they buy, even when you're only spending a few pennies. Those pennies add up to be pounds and with pounds, you could have purchased better pre-bonsai stock.... or purchase house or something... ;)
2. Record yet another failure for this black duck or perhaps something better in 5 or so years. (My hope... I watched a video of a guy take his Japanese maples back to nothing and create something pretty cool... that is my inspiration, whether I have the skills is another story entirely.)

Here's the three maples as they stand today... don't get excited, they is not much to see. Wish them luck in their new life. (Oh, and why today... because I had time. Perhaps I should have waited until bud burst in spring but my logic is cut now, set new growth before winter. Come bud burst, investigate and cut the roots; I am splitting the tree trauma in two. :fc:

JM_1
I was going to stop here and then went nah - see below.
IMG_8299.jpeg
IMG_8305.jpeg
JM_2
I was going to stop here and then went nah - see below.
IMG_8301.jpeg
IMG_8306.jpeg
JM_3
I just went nah from the start - see below.
IMG_8303.jpeg
(I'll probably put three seedlings in pots in spring too... do a side by side progress check. In all likelihood, this all might be a waste to time ... as perhaps was the two minutes you just spent reading my ramblings. :whistle: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Re: Japanese Maples ... Three New Beginnings

Post by Elmer »

Hey Mark, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. I spent yesterday at my teachers and as i was admiring one of his trees more than the rest he shared some early photos and i couldn't believe it was the same tree till he pointed out the original chop points... as the song goes " from little things big things grow"
gnichols
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by gnichols »

This is actually one of Peter Adams fast grow methods from his Maples book. Let em grow for a year or two then cut back hard again.

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

I've learnt nothing is a waste of time Mark. You've made a fantastic decision to cut hard then grow on. It'll payoff in the long run. Keen to see how they develop.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

gnichols wrote:This is actually one of Peter Adams fast grow methods from his Maples book. Let em grow for a year or two then cut back hard again.
It’s a very modern world... so, I read gnichols response. I googled Peter Adams. Image Peter’s website was linked to AusBonsai .... Google works in funny ways ... anyway, I liked what I saw ... I then noted Peter’s book (on Maples) on Amazon but it was too expensive ... I headed across to the Book Depository (owned by Amazon, I think) and picked it up there ... the whole process took about 4 minutes ... I have a lot of maples and I enjoy them. I have a lot to learn. The book will be valuable.

Cheers for all the responses to my little experiment — perhaps I am learning by osmosis - it seems I have taken an approach, worth taking. We’ll see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Elmer wrote: I spent yesterday at my teachers and as i was admiring one of his trees more than the rest he shared some early photos and i couldn't believe it was the same tree till he pointed out the original chop points... as the song goes " from little things big things grow"
Thanks Elmer, excellent that you have a teacher. I have taken to regular classes with Scott Martin here in Melbourne - mainly for pines but for tips and techniques on other trees too.

It feels like it will help with a step up in my skills - this forum is great, the clubs and people that I meet at the clubs are super helpful and now hands-on learning - a teacher. All will contribute to increasing my confidence over time, I hope Image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

MJL wrote: March 1st, 2020, 6:50 pm It’s a very modern world... so, I read gnichols response. I googled Peter Adams. Image Peter’s website was linked to AusBonsai .... Google works in funny ways ... anyway, I liked what I saw ... I then noted Peter’s book (on Maples) on Amazon but it was too expensive ... I headed across to the Book Depository (owned by Amazon, I think) and picked it up there ... the whole process took about 4 minutes ... I have a lot of maples and I enjoy them. I have a lot to learn. The book will be valuable.
Great to see how hard you cut back, will be keen to see how they develop. I cut some back last year although not that hard.

Re Peter's book - I picked up a copy myself last year and looking forward to trying some to the growing techniques he suggests.

Return to “Deciduous”