Chinese elm - from rooted to root-connected

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Chinese elm - from rooted to root-connected

Post by MJL »

I enjoyed pottering this morning. Some years ago, I purchased a Chinese Elm from a bonsai sales day - I think it was in 2016. To this day, I don't know why I purchased it - just to walk away with a plant, probably. It had terrible nebari - sort of a split root above the ground - which I may have thought was interesting at the time. It was also a one-sided tree. It didn't cost much - the pot was probably worth more than the tree.

Anyway.. in 2018...I decided to sh!t or get off the potty. I was never going to be happy with the tree. I decided to strip one side of the trunk and lay the tree down to see to if I could create something out of not much. Today, I decided to have look and conduct an Autumn repot. I wish I had a photo of the original tree but it seems not or I just cannot find it.

Anyway here are two pots (in August 2018) after the tree was laid down and some cutting taken too. Look carefully at the first photo - in the middle, a root cutting with no foliage - that makes a re-appreance with roots and leaves later.
IMG_5192.jpeg
IMG_5194.jpeg
And the same pots as they were this morning too.
IMG_8465.jpeg
IMG_8464.jpeg
And the photos below are what transpired earlier today. I am happy. No so much with the current layout - rather that I have learned to take something rooted (pardon the pun) and create a root-connected setting that I can now work with, enjoy and potentially make something interesting over time.

Much better than before. Of course, other thoughts welcome and the lesson is ... before you chuck out a tree or dismiss it altogether, make sure there aren't other options. Not much to lose and a lot to learn.
IMG_8467.jpeg
Below is the root cutting from the first photo in this thread.I nearly seperated this cutting to make a single tree... but in the end, I removed that fat root and added back to this setting.
IMG_8468.jpeg
IMG_8470.jpeg
IMG_8472.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg
IMG_8476.jpeg
IMG_8477.jpeg
IMG_8479.jpeg
IMG_8480.jpeg
IMG_8481.jpeg

PS - The rocks in the current photo are not part of any design - just holding parts of the tree in place. :D

PPS - And somewhat buoyed by the success of the root cutting ... why not bang in eight more with the left over root from this tree.
IMG_8482.jpeg

This won't be a group planting ... just an experiment, banged-in a pot before a storm hits Melbourne in about five minutes time!! If they take, I'll seperate them later and figure out what to do. What's to lose?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MJL on March 29th, 2020, 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Chinese elm - from rooted to root-connected

Post by Matt S »

Great post Mark. Easy growing species like Chinese Elm offer opportunities to try new things and experiment, and this is a great example. I love rafts too, so this ticks a lot of boxes.

Matt.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Chinese elm - from rooted to root-connected

Post by MJL »

Cheers Matt,
Something a bit left field. I just noticed this root structure from one of the photos above...
IMG_8470 (1).jpeg
if I could construct a tree like this, I'd be happy. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Deciduous”