Maple help

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Re: Maple help

Post by Stu »

These do not look like Japanese Maples as I suggested I think they are Amur maples. They don't keep pushing out new leaves all the time but it happens a few times each season so they will look the same for periods. Fertilizing can encourage new growth. Seasol is a good health tonic but not a fertilizer. If you like Seasol try Powerfeed (same company) but any general fertilizer will be ok.
Stu
tonez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by tonez »

KIRKY wrote: December 7th, 2020, 1:23 pm Firstly seasol is not a fertiliser. If you want to liquid feed it then get something like Charlie Carp or power feed.
It’s definitely not a Japanese Maple, agree it looks more like Amur maple (Acer ginnala). Once you start fertilising you should see an improvement in the growth.
Cheers
Kirky
Not Japanese Maple, now thats disappointing. Maybe i should send Mrfothergrill a message.

My mistake, i did use Powerfeed/green bottle (thought they are the same company) . But i fertilize them today, would see how it goes.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

It is the same company, seasol is a tonic. Powerfeed is a fertiliser.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak

Post by legoman_iac »

Hey Tonez,

The trees look happy to me. Maple3 looks a little darker green, maybe too much shade (compared to the others)?

I think you are doing great with those three!

It's up to you, if you wanted to experiment, I'd say try on "Maple1" (rectangle blue pot),that seems the happiest/healthiest. Although, I'd leave it another year, let them grow a bit before styling, etc. Fertilise, water, enjoy!!!

- Daniel
tonez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tonez »

legoman_iac wrote: December 8th, 2020, 12:59 pm It's up to you, if you wanted to experiment, I'd say try on "Maple1" (rectangle blue pot),that seems the happiest/healthiest. Although, I'd leave it another year, let them grow a bit before styling, etc. Fertilise, water, enjoy!!!
Updating from last post. Yes the "Maple1" seem to be doing well currently. As in, it still has its leaves. I did use powerfeed every few weeks and water but it doesn't seem to want to grown new leaves. It stayed the same. Same as "maple2". Unfortuntely "Maple3" did not make it. The leaves started to brown up and curl. It looked like it had fungi attack because there was black spots that was forming on the leaves. I end up removing them. So now its just a stick. Maybe it has gone into early dormant? I would update photos soon.

Now because you guys mention the type of maples, Amur. I sent a complain to MrFothergrils because the seed type and turns out they had the incorrect maple batch for sale. So if you guys bought the Japanese maple MrFothergrills and it doesn't look like Japanese maple (Acer?) then most like you have the incorrect batch aswell.
After telling them they were happy enough to send out new batch of seeds (one package about 20 seeds?)
I'm doing the refrigerator thing and results seem to be good because few has sprouted. I planted them in peat most with abit of worm compost? Not sure if that does anything but here is the results!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Sorry to hear about maple 3, sounds like it's struggling ... though it might pull through. Photos would be good. Any sign of any buds? I'd say, keep it, water it (when needed, probably not as thirsty as the others now) and see what happens in spring.

Well done on the new seedlings!!! They're looking happy. Be sure to keep an eye on the soil, maybe water twice on any more really hot days we have. I've had a few plants look very sad on hot days, quick late arvo watering and they spring back the next day!
tonez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tonez »

legoman_iac wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:39 pm Any sign of any buds? I'd say, keep it, water it (when needed, probably not as thirsty as the others now) and see what happens in spring.
interesting enough despite losing all its leaves for few weeks, i can see new buds growing which is strange cause i thought this would be the time they would be losing their leaves for upcoming winter. It has been hot recently so maybe it came out of dormant?

Also these new maple seedlings they are about 3-4weeks old. Would they start to lose its leaves too for winter?
How much full sun should they be getting? Usually i have them in the shade but since i'm still new at this, not sure if they should get full sun or shade?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by legoman_iac »

Great to see all that growth!!!

I have some maple seedlings (in Sydney) which are still shooting new leaves! Some of mine have had 3-4 growth spurts the past 2 months.

Mine get full sun from 11am to about 4pm (just keep an eye out on hot days, an afternoon drink might be needed).

Also, I'm not so sure keeping them in plastic tubs isn't heating them up too much? Maybe better than having on pavers though? Some input from others re: positions would be good. I try to keep mine on timber slats/shelves or soil.

- Daniel

P.S Thanks for the update!
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Stu »

tonez wrote: March 15th, 2021, 11:26 am
Also these new maple seedlings they are about 3-4weeks old. Would they start to lose its leaves too for winter?
How much full sun should they be getting? Usually i have them in the shade but since i'm still new at this, not sure if they should get full sun or shade?
You are doing well at this seed raising caper. :clap:
I don't know about NSW but I would have thought full sun at this time of the year would be fine. Don't let them dry out but watch out for rotting due to over-watering. They should lose their leaves but it might be later than usual given how recently they were germinated.
Stu
tonez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tonez »

Stu wrote: March 15th, 2021, 7:47 pm Don't let them dry out but watch out for rotting due to over-watering. They should lose their leaves but it might be later than usual given how recently they were germinated.
I'm guilty of over watering, usually i would water every 2-3 days or when i see the top soil dry.

legoman_iac wrote: March 15th, 2021, 2:02 pm I'm not so sure keeping them in plastic tubs isn't heating them up too much? Maybe better than having on pavers though? Some input from others re: positions would be good. I try to keep mine on timber slats/shelves or soil.
The reason why i had them in plastic tubs makes it easier for me to transport them in and out of the sun. I do take them out and place them on pavement. Just this time i left them in the container for few hours before i put them back in the shade, scared it may get too hot for them.
Also what i learnt from taking care of Sundew plants, i would water the container and the water would wick up into the soil. The remaining water i could discard.
Not sure if that helps, i'm thinking by doing that would avoid moisture on the leaves and wont get fungi?
tonez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tonez »

Just wanted to show an update on the maples. Has been 8 months since last photo.
They are still little, i do fertilizer them try to give them full sun but im concern they may get burn especially in the afternoon?

Should i wait until next year to start placing them in bonsai pots and start clipping ?
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Stu »

A couple of years in those pots would encourage stronger growth and better trees when you do decide to try bonsai pots. I would not try bonsai pots this year. Maybe next winter you could try the strongest and learn from it while the others grow on in plastic pots.
Stu
tonez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by tonez »

Thanks Stu. :tu:
Yeah it's patience at this point. So far I have them growing under shade. With occasionally bring them out to full sun.
Fertilizer every few weeks with powerfeed or worm liquid.

I'm quite happy with the the turn out. Can't wait until it gets bigger

Return to “Deciduous”