Spindly Mume

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Spindly Mume

Post by paul smedley »

Hi all.

I have two Prunus Mume plants in the garden.They have been left and are now very long and spindly without any form and are needing something to help them along. From what i understand they do not seem to back bud very well and it takes ages for them to flower. is this right on both counts? As is usual there is a lot of information in here that i have gone through but just need some initial advice. Wiring also looks very unpleasant as the older trunk is very brittle now?

So, I am thinking that:
they could be cut down a fair way and try to grow better shoots in the spring?
i could try to put a bit of wire on them now to see if they can have a preliminary movement?

I just don't want to kill them so it is just the start i need help with.

Thanks heaps in advance P
aopr Japanese 5.jpeg
apr Japanese 1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Spindly Mume

Post by treeman »

You can prune then back just about anywhere above a good dormant bud in spring. I would not bother with wire though.
Mike
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

As treeman says, trying to add significant movement to established trunks or branches is pretty much going to lead to snapping those areas. Best to cut back to a low shoot and start over adding movement into it from there.

Wiring the spring growth after it has extended is possible, but that can scar quite quickly so keep eyes on it, but once it's barked up it's not really going to be moveable to a significant degree.

I've had no issues at all with flowering on any of my ones to speak of so can't really advise there. Have these not flowered for you?
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
paul smedley
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by paul smedley »

treeman wrote: May 27th, 2020, 8:00 pm You can prune then back just about anywhere above a good dormant bud in spring. I would not bother with wire though.
?thanks TM.
I will move him to a quiet corner ... which is my spring 'do stuff to' corner and it is turning out to be very large!
TimS wrote: May 27th, 2020, 8:23 pm As treeman says, trying to add significant movement to established trunks or branches is pretty much going to lead to snapping those areas. Best to cut back to a low shoot and start over adding movement into it from there.

Wiring the spring growth after it has extended is possible, but that can scar quite quickly so keep eyes on it, but once it's barked up it's not really going to be moveable to a significant degree.

I've had no issues at all with flowering on any of my ones to speak of so can't really advise there. Have these not flowered for you?
Tim, no they have not flowered or anything resembling a flower or fruit. This is mainly due to me not doing anything to them that equates to care, no repot, fert or anything. :palm:

I am now having to start again with most of my trees that are currently 5 years old.

Return to “Deciduous”