digging the grow beds

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

digging the grow beds

Post by shibui »

Mid winter is past so it is time to start digging the trees I have had in the grow beds over summer.
I start with the trident maples because I have never had any adverse reaction to early work on them.

These trees have been growing well over summer
IMGP8352.JPG
They were all dug, root pruned and top pruned last winter so all the tall stems you see here have grown over summer.
IMGP8391.JPG
Digging these is quite easy because they were root pruned last winter so I only have to cut through relatively thin roots.
I've washed the roots so you can see where the old roots were cut and lots of new white roots have emerged from the cut ends.
IMGP8405.JPG
With other species it is not so much of a problem but tridents love to grow new roots just under the surface. Trees that are planted too deep can grow new roots too high on the trunk.
IMGP8328.JPG
If this tree had stayed in the grow bed any longest that high root would have ruined the good nebari and created reverse taper on the trunk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
juan73870
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: whatever is in front of me...
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: digging the grow beds

Post by juan73870 »

Does this recent dig mean we can look forward to another fresh update of the catalogue on your website, Neil?
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ;) :whistle:
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Nice work Neil I need to get out your way again . Are you excepting locals at your place atm ?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I dug some trident fusion trials today.
This is not to promote fusion as a viable method for bonsai. Many of these have failed to live up to expectations and all have taken far longer than expected. I am sure I can grow far better trunks to similar size in the same time frame without resorting to fusion. Pics are for info only.

These first ones are accidental fusions after I left some bunches of seedlings in the grow beds for a year. Only these few were kept as they had possibilities.
IMGP8475.JPG
IMGP8477.JPG
IMGP8478.JPG
Note the twine holding this one together. The trunks had not fused properly when I planted them so the twine was intended to hold the trunks together tight enough to force fusion. It appears that bale twine does not stretch as the trunks expand and it has cut off circulation and killed some roots. I will put this one back into the ground and hope new roots will grow next summer.
IMGP8479.JPG
Early stages of trident seedling fusion project. 1 year from seedlings. Trunks are just beginning to graft together.
IMGP8481.JPG
Attempt to get a larger trunk to go with the others here.
IMGP8482.JPG
Nice match between the 2 larger trunks but not sure about the smaller rear trunks. I can always cut off one or both if they don't live up to expectations. From seedlings planted close together and left for a year.
IMGP8483.JPG
Base of above now well fused together
IMGP8484.JPG
You can probably pick that this one was planned. The seedlings were given a twist in the hope of producing a trunk with added character. Now 4 years in and still waiting for proper fusion.
IMGP8485.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”