Advice on what to do with my elm?

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Advice on what to do with my elm?

Post by nozila »

Hi all,
I’ve got a tree here, I’ve been told it’s a corny bark lm. I’m not sure what to do with it. I want to air layer it because it’s just a straight trunk. Do they respond well to air layers? And if so, how would I go about it as it as the branches are short and in odd places Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Advice on what to do with my elm?

Post by MJL »

Hey Nozila,

Perhaps this is a bit radical but looking at the third photo - I’d strip the bark on the side with no branches - lay it down and you have the basis for a good raft.

Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

It is hard to tell from a few photos but I think you are correct that the straight trunk is a problem as it is.
Straight trunk is, however, good for broom style bonsai and broom style suits elms really well.

First you need to find out what the roots look like. Is it planted on an angle because that is how the roots are or just because someone thought that was cool.
There is a section right at the top where several branches from from a pruning cut. If that section is relatively straight it would be a good section to layer for a small broom style bonsai.

If the current roots suit a leaning trunk I would probably layer or just cut the whole trunk just above the first branch and use that branch to grow the rest of the tree. It may seem like a massive reduction but it will give movement and much needed taper to the trunk.
The first section of trunk might also be useful for another broom style tree - repot so the trunk is vertical and chop the whole trunk below the first branch. Don't worry about such a chop on Chinese elm. They WILL resprout no matter how old the trunk is. They usually grow lots of new buds in a ring right round the chop where the cambium is exposed. We often do that and use the resulting shoots to grow new branches for a broom style tree.

That's just 3 possible ideas. All will take time but I can't see any quicker ways with such a straight, taperless trunk.

BTW I don't think that one looks like corky bark Chinese elm. At that age it should have thick, black bark with deep furrows. I think this one is just a rough bark type Chinese elm.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nozila
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by nozila »

I’ll take better pics of what the branches look like on the weekend when the lighting is more natural. As for the tree, I think I will dig into the roots and plant it upright then chop it into three sections - top (broom), mid (no idea what yet) and then bottom (trunk chop) to create taper.

Neil, as for it growing easily. Does it need to be layered or simply chop and planted into ground? It’s trunk is rather thick - I’ll get exact measurements when I find my tape measure.

Thanks all so far for the suggestions,

Duc

Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Akhi »

Air layering is the way to go..I did that with a plum and now have three tree kings with reasonably thick trunks and nice radial root growth. Suggest layering in late Sep when your first spring growth has come out. And separate (if roots sufficiently developed ) in May June when dormant. I didn’t tease out the moss in that year and just let it grow but cleaned up the following season.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Neil, as for it growing easily. Does it need to be layered or simply chop and planted into ground? It’s trunk is rather thick - I’ll get exact measurements when I find my tape measure.
If you are asking about whether a section will grow roots as a cutting. Cuttings grow easily but only up to about finger thick 1 or 2 year old wood. Older material gets progressively harder to grow roots. Layering is much more reliable for thicker and older material so if you want to get several trees from this layering will be the best option.
If you are asking about how to chop a trunk. You can chop the top off a Chinese elm anywhere any time and it should grow new shoots from the stump but you will throw away the top part.

I think you could do 3 sections by layering from this tree no problem.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Deciduous”