Japanese Maple #1 [Truth]

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Truth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 2

Japanese Maple #1 [Truth]

Post by Truth »

G'day guys!

Been a while since I was last here. So why not kick off my first progress thread with something promising. This was a generic Japanese Maple bought from Ray Nesci about 3-4 years or so ago. The trunk was maybe 2.5cm wide at best so I immediately stuck it into the ground without too much thought to get some girth on it.

Today is the day where it finally gets it's first trunk chop. At 5cm wide, it's now got the foundation to be a pleasing trunk on a small-medium sized tree. Yes it has some scarring from failed thread grafts and some negative taper from those thick callouses, but nothing a bit of time and deliberate carving can't improve.

I left the first branch as a potential new leader. The internode length is quite long so I'm hoping I get some back budding around the base to use as an alternative leader, but I left it there to give me options. Now all I can do is leave it for a grow season and see what it gives me this time next year!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Truth on August 26th, 2020, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Japanese Maple #1 [Truth]

Post by Truth »

To any new players in the same, this is what ~3 years of growth on a healthy and happy Japanese maple looks like. About 2.5m tall and 5cm wide at the base.

PS: If anyone knows how to upload and embed photos directly on this site, please help. Can't seem to work it out...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Truth on August 26th, 2020, 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

To attach photos scroll down to 'Options' and "attachments' buttons, just below the save, preview an submit buttons. Click attachments then click 'add files' should open a window to your storage.
Files must be under 1mb so you may need to compress or resize some files for the site to accept them.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Truth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Truth »

Thanks Shibui! Issue was the photos were too large to post initially!

Return to “Deciduous”