What nature drops in your lap...

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

What nature drops in your lap...

Post by MJL »

I had to laugh to myself this morning. Members of this forum are digging up all manner of yamadori ... current circumstances have me in my courtyard ‘enjoying’ lockdown.

So it was with some pleasure - a small pleasure no doubt - that under our hanging baskets of orchids, I spotted a seedling bare-rooted on the ground. If anyone can advise what species it may be - all the better.

Anyway - the birds - in the process of pecking coconut fibre for their nest - had clearly discarded a small tree that didn’t fit their need. Alas - with this 'birdadori' and a morning coffee - I set about making the most of the find.

Hardly Yamadori but hey... we use what nature presents! Pics below!

It came from one of these two pots I reckon.
IMG_0523.jpeg
IMG_0522.jpeg
IMG_0524.jpeg
IMG_0525.jpeg
I had rock on hand
IMG_0526.jpeg
IMG_0527.jpeg
and now we wait a decade.
IMG_0528.jpeg
And, it's probably a poxy specimen for a bonsai too. :palm:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Re: What nature drops in your lap...

Post by Raging Bull »

Not much to go on, but possibly a hawthorn? Hope it survives for you. BTW, I didn't see any yamadori worth collecting while out surfing this morning. :D
PWC
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: crepe myrtle/juniper
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by PWC »

+1 for hawthorn, birds around here spread the seed everywhere, I have a few small ones on the go.
MJL wrote: August 30th, 2020, 8:04 am And, it's probably a poxy specimen for a bonsai too.

Nothing a bit of cutting and wiring couldn't fix. You can never have enough experiments, and these ones a painlessly consigned to the bin if they don't work out.
Peter.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

I'm not sure about hawthorn; my youngish hawthorn growth is more crinkly and pointy (technical terms).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Nothing to lose Mark free tree, it will be a good looking root over rock. I’m looking for my neofinetia falcata either wind blown from pot or stolen by birds for nesting material :shake: check your pots again for me ;)
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

hmm...so you guys in lockdown are just getting trees airdropped to you now??? :lost:
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks all... I hope it is a Hawthorn but I'll keep my hopes in check for the time being.

KC&R - I wish we weren't getting airdrops... especially because the birds have destroyed the coir in the orchid pots - I hope they are warm in their nests!

And Kirky - did I read that correctly? You've lost a neo? Bummer ... they are not easy to come by! Indeed, a picked one up a few years back from Mike and it flowered beautifully in year one... and since has basically been stunted .... put on no growth at all. Recently, I tried something different - I have pulled it inside and repotted into Sphagnum moss and created a hole underneath .... not quite the Japanese way but 'borrowed from the idea.

Anyway ... it is loving it with two shoots of new growth and it looks healthy - getting it to flower may be another issue!
IMG_0535.jpeg
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by KIRKY »

Yep you read right mine was a little bigger than yours now it just gone. Not sure if it was birds the the crazy wind we got the other day? Hunted high and low in the garden but its gone :| :crybye: will have to look out for another one.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Mark - off-topic, but every time my two year old sees your avatar she asks to listen to Powderfinger. Just now I asked the Google machine to play These Days and my wife groaned (she's not much of a fan :lol: )
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

greg27 wrote: August 30th, 2020, 2:52 pm Mark - off-topic, but every time my two year old sees your avatar she asks to listen to Powderfinger. Just now I asked the Google machine to play These Days and my wife groaned (she's not much of a fan :lol: )
Ha! Greg... I won't ask your age but it could well be my old man's (50-something) music that is causing your wife a headache.... maybe she might like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDPMoOM8jnU recently released by Bernard Fanning (Powderfinger) and Paul Dempsey (Something for Kate) ....

meant a bit for some of us in Melbourne ...a comment which make sense at the end...

... and if you wife doesn't like this either ...please pass on my apologies. :lol:

Return to “Deciduous”