Corky Bark Elm - advice please...!

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

Corky Bark Elm - advice please...!

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hi I recently picked up this Corky Bark Elm and have shortened it back to where I want the new leader. I’m finding it difficult to select which branch to keep on the left side as it’s quite crowded. Have a lot to choose from but that just makes it mor confusing. Any advise will be appreciated greatly
Thanks
See pics below
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: BSV

Re: Corky Bark Elm - advice please...!

Post by KIRKY »

Firstly scratch down just under the soil and find the nabari that you want as your potential front. If you have no good nabari that you like, then find the front angle of the tree that you want as your front. This will then help you to choose which branches to keep and elongate.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I have found over many years that if it is difficult to make a choice that usually means the choices are all equally good so it doesn't matter which choice you make. It is more important to get on with it than to sit back and procrastinate.

Having said that your choice actually seems quite straightforward looking at the photos you posted.
One of the key design features is that branches usually look much better when they grow on the outside of the curves.
Branches also look better if they are not at the same level - bar branches.

There are some healthy buds at the lower bend on the right side - ideal for first branch
Then the main trunk bends back to the right. To complete the sequence it would be good to take the new leader back to the left which will leave space for another right branch on the outside of a (new) curve just where the new leader is growing from the old trunk.
A left side branch would ideally grow from the outside of the curve of the trunk. Which of those left side shoots would be best placed to make that left branch?

I between those side branches you will need one or more back branches. I'm hoping your trunk has some buds? If not use some of the rearmost side buds and bend the shoot toward the rear. Branches do not always have to come from ideal position. As long as they look OK the design will work.

In case you still can't see this as it might be hard to visualize the curves that are not there yet I have done this crude virt (without back branches) for you.
Corky .JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Thanks very much Shibui, I really appreciate your guidance & and informative advice. It all makes sense now & can I picture how it will progress following your virt.
On to it now !!! 🙂🙂🙂Time to have some fun instead of pondering

Thanks again 🙏
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hi Everyone, Shibui provided me with some very sound advice when I first received my Corky Bark Elm stock.
Calling out again….!!! Welcoming all comments, advice and guidance with the progression of this tree.
I’m content with where the branches are positioned on trunk but not too happy with the horizontal straight lines when I first wired.
The only one that seems to have the natural character that I’m looking for would be the bottom branch…. In saying that I think for me to create or more natural elegant looking tree I’ll probably have to cut right back to trunk and start over. Which I’m happy to do as elms grow fast!!!. Although I’m just not sure of what to keep what to take off and how far to cut branches back.(too thick to try to bend with wire) Do I cut right back to trunk or leave stubs and see what shoots from there. What would be the best time to do this. Now or in Spring.
Any other options or advice for development would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards & Thank you
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Here are the pics, sorry for delay… and of front of tree are the last few photos at bottom. Sorry can’t figure out how to upload correctly
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Deciduous branching seems to look far better if developed by grow and chop by which I mean allow to grow like you have then chop back short. Then allow new shoots to grow again then repeat. Each chop makes another bend and should also give some side branches to make branch ramification.

So, provided the initial base of the branch is good just cut them all short where you want the first bends. How short depends on the size of the tree and thickness of branches.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Your tree is developing well.
Shibui has grown a few trees over the years and his advice is gold, stick with it I think.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hey Thanks Shibui & Watto,

Is now an ok time to chop as most of the leaves have dropped or should I wait until spring…?
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

I have added a Vert, to show where i think i should cut branches back to. As the top section of tree directly under the current apex doesn't seem to have much taper ,would it also be an idea to cut back to start a new leader. Have drawn a cut line to mark where i think it should start....Thoughts....?
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Corky Bark Elm 2022.pdf
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hopefully this Photo & Vert uploads… need lessons
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Please remember that I can only see a 2D image of the tree so cannot really pick depth or often the exact direction of the smaller branches so being super accurate is close to impossible.
Chopping the top down is a great idea. I have some that were left a bit longer in order to reach size quicker - big mistake using hindsight!

I'd chop that top section right at the fork and use a small twig from the left branch below to remake the apex but check what you actually have before chopping blind. I can't see leaving a stump achieving a good result but I also cannot see the full thing in 3D.

You may be cutting the right side branches just a bit shorter than necessary. I see some forks there that could be used either for side branches or as replacement for the main branch - depending where they start and what direction.

The thicker left branch 3rd? does not appear to have many smaller side shoots so it will probably need to just be chopped short. It may even be better to take that right off??? and grow from thinner new shoots as the stump will be pretty thick up there.
Lower left (or is it a back branch? See how photos can be deceiving) appears to have some smaller options to use so may not need to be chopped to a stump.

If there's smaller shoots already there that you can prune back to and achieve bend and taper then it makes sense to utilize them. Starting with something will save half, maybe even a full year over starting from nothing. Sometimes just a small wire can move a smaller side shoot into a better position so also consider a mix of prune and wire.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hey Shibui, Thank you very much…!!! can I start work on it now or wait till Spring
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

Chinese elms sometimes get some die back from infection when pruned in cold, wet conditions. I prune them all year round with very little problem. You may see clear jelly oozing from cuts at this time of year but it does not seem to be harmful. More likely some sort of defence against infection?

Return to “Deciduous”