Should I repot my amur maples?

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Jono75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Should I repot my amur maples?

Post by Jono75 »

Hi all, I’m new to all this. I planted these Amur maples in late August from seeds in a kit I got from Bunnings, just wondering if I should repot them or leave them. I am in Geelong, and they seem to be thriving in nearly full sun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Should I repot my amur maples?

Post by TimS »

Generally speaking we would repot deciduous and maples specifically in late winter just before buds open. This is assuming that the repotting is going to involve root cutting.

If you just wanted to slip it out of the smaller pot and put it into a larger pot to continue growing it (an orchid pot that is wider but not a lot deeper is a good bet) then that is easily done with minimal disturbance to the plant. I don't think i'd bother with this option now, as we really only have another maybe 3 months or so of active root growth before autumn and the trees go dormant. You wouldn't get a lot of benefit out if it in such a short amount of time.

Your little guys there are obviously happy in the spot they are in, there is no rush to repot them as they have decades ahead of them to become bonsai. I'd tend to leave them as they are and let them just grow for now and come late winter next year pop them out and take a look at the roots then. If there are thick roots growing straight down cut them off and start to encourage the roots that are growing radially outwards flat from the trunk as those are the ones you want.

Leaving them in the small pots long term will only slow down growth however so don't leave them in those small pots for too many years. Many people advocate growing young seedlings in the ground to thicken them more quickly which is true, but they need keeping an eye on as they grow rampantly in the ground and you can end up with odd (ugly?) root growth and very thick straight branches which are not usually ideal. Growing in wider pots like orchid pots is my preferred method; slower but also easier to work on.

Others may disagree with me so feel free to wait for more informed opinions that mine!
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Jono75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jono75 »

Thank you, I’ll take your advice and leave them for this year. Thanks again
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Depending on your preference, but now might be a good time to tinker with the shape of one of them, ie introduce some curves/bends to the "trunk"??? Otherwise you'll shape via cutting branches over the years? Just something to think about.
Jono75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jono75 »

Ok I’ll try that, thanks. What size wire should I use?
legoman_iac
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Fig, Jacaranda, Maple, Oak
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by legoman_iac »

Not sure wire is the best thing, I've had some success just using pieces of wood, sticks etc. By pushing down the top, you should get a fairlynatural, twisty curve in three dimensions, if not, play with it a little. I saw once that the trees should move in all directions, not just side to side. I try that with mine, give it volume, and more interest IMHO
Jono75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jono75 »

Ok, I’ll try that. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Post by TimS »

I tend to just cut back and regrow for my movement because I find I only ever seem to make contrived and boring bends with wire for some reason
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Post by Stu »

Amur maples tend to grow very straight from each junction with long internodes. Clip and grow I find creates very angular branching. I prefer a little wiring with clip and grow. :2c:
Stu
Jono75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jono75 »

Should I clip them yet? A couple of them have a bit of curve in the trunk. Maybe turn them and see if they go the other way?Image

Stu
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 19
Bonsai Club: Vic Native BC

Post by Stu »

They are very young. I'd let them get strong this year, maybe a little wire to put some movement in the trunk but wait until the trunk gets thicker and the tree is a bit more developed before chopping it back.
Stu
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Should I clip them yet? A couple of them have a bit of curve in the trunk. Maybe turn them and see if they go the other way?
There is not just one path to bonsai.
You can follow the fast growth and trunk thickening path by letting them grow as tall as you can before cutting.
OR
You can follow the prune regularly road that will give the trunks movement but with minimum scars, shorter internodes and better ramification

Both roads have forks and diversions. Sometimes they intersect and occasionally there are dead ends but both are equally valid paths to bonsai.
You have plenty of stock so why not try something different with some and record the outcomes.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jono75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jono75 »

Thanks for all the advice and info everyone. Think I’m going to let them grow out this year and try and shape the trunks a bit. Will post an update.

Jono75
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jono75 »

So I decided to try and put some shape into the two that already had a bit. I made some hooks from 2mm bonsai wire and pulled them back to a frame made from wooden skewers. What do you think?Image

Return to “Deciduous”