Elm woes

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Oliver Syd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Elm woes

Post by Oliver Syd »

Hi all,

Little worries about an elm I recently purchased about 6 weeks back. I air layered her soon after and growth has been vigorous throughout. However, older leaves are yellowing and dying off. Could this be over fertilisation and nutrient lock out? Before I air layered I gave her a does of osmocote pots and planters, about three index fingers around the pot filled and covered over. She’s also received a few hits of seasol.
Any thoughts much appreciated!
Thanks
Ol
3EA276B7-15A3-49B4-A797-64666B20F19D.jpeg
408ED863-736A-4B76-818A-83511FDF4CC3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oliver Syd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Elm woes

Post by Oliver Syd »

Just to add, my other elm that I purchased, corky bark, has not been air layered and received the same dosage and treatment (bar the layering) and is absolutely fine!
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

It's just a couple of leaves so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The tree could have been stressed as you took the air layer, just watch the water levels and plenty of sun and you should be right.
Oliver Syd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Oliver Syd »

Been a fair few beforehand that have already dropped and been clear but feeling relatively confident with all the new growth that’s coming through. Possibly the leaves are dropping as there is no root system that needs to be fed by so many leaves? I dunno, but will keep an eye on it. You’ve made me feel a lot more comfortable, cheers!

Return to “Deciduous”