Trident Maple defoliation

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Trident Maple defoliation

Post by Matt S »

I defoliated this Trident Maple today, but as usual I forgot to take a before photo. At this time of year time is precious and I often duck into the shed when I have a bit of time to myself but everything seems rushed! So far this year I had just pruned the strongest shoots back to one pair and decided that the inner shoots were getting too shaded out and since the tree as in good health I'd do a defoliation.

I bought this tree in Melbourne 9 years ago because of it's nice fat trunk with good taper and since them I've been working on the primary and secondary branches, but the last two growing seasons I've started on the ramification. It's in an oversized pot and you can see the original front I chose but two years ago I decided that a different angle was more interesting, so next repot I'll spin it around. Looking at the photo I can see that the top right branch needs to be shortened, and the bottom right branch thickened.
trident old front dec20.JPG
trident new front Dec20 (2).JPG

Happy to hear if anyone agrees/disagrees with the new angle, or any other comments.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Trident Maple defoliation

Post by melbrackstone »

Your new front seems awkward with the middle part of the trunk appearing much thicker than the base... it might be the light background confusing me though......The nebari, on the other hand, looks much better on the new front...
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

G'day Matt,

Great little tree, but I'm with Mel on the potential reverse taper issue, my eye is drawn straight to it.

If you were to consider tilting the tree 35° to the right I think you would not only reduce the reverse taper issue a little, but also create a even better nebari and more interesting tree.
20201222_202251.jpg
Food for thought for you, I'm very partial to a windswept and slanting style tree so not for everyone's taste. Goodluck with what ever decision you make and great tree either way.

Cheers,
Pearcy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pearcy001 on December 22nd, 2020, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Another option for you which is my preferred - 20° back the other way. This option works better with the current branch structure, again improving on the nebari and improving the slight reverse taper a little. Just a couple more options for you, I think you're on the money with the new proposed front.

Cheers,
Pearcy
20201222_214018.jpg

Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Thanks Pearcy and Mel, it's good to hear your opinions.

The reverse taper is there with the new front, but the photos seem to exaggerate it more. In the flesh I've never been bothered by it.

The second tilt to the left is interesting, I'll give it some consideration. I also need to do some better work on the nebari. I've only ever repotted it twice so I might start on a bi-annual repot schedule so I can work on the roots more often.

Matt.

Return to “Deciduous”