Japanese maple trim

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Japanese maple trim

Post by Alex_B »

I bought my first two Japanese maples back in November one is just a standard Acer palmatum and the other is a Sango Kaku.

When I bought them they looked pretty much as they do now, just kinda like long twigs haha. However, they are growing so tall now that when there is a bit of wind they tend to move quite a lot so I was wondering if now would be a good time to prune them back a bit?

I am still not sure what kind of design I want to go for with them but I am just a bit unsure whether I should prune them back a bit now or wait another year so they can get some more growth and then I can prune them back with more of a design in mind. Pruning them now would just be to make them a bit smaller so they dont get damaged by the wind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Re: Japanese maple trim

Post by treeman »

Yes cutting them in half shouldn't be a problem.
Mike
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

You can certainly prune JM any time through summer. With good feed and water regrowth is usually pretty rapid so you actually lose very little trunk growth.
They generally shoot new growth close to the cuts so pruning high will not usually give any more or better options for shape. Chopping lower in winter will usually give you better placed new shoots the following year that can be better for design. I generally do a series of grow and chops over a number of years with most species before really looking at any style or design.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Phil Rabl
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Canberra, Ballarat, VNBC

Post by Phil Rabl »

I agree with Shibui. When I have maples at this stage I cut everything to the lowest possible shoot (leaving a stub, of course, so that the dying back doesn't kill the dormant bud you want to shoot). They grow back readily, but with more branches than before the cuts. You can do this for multiple years. This increases your options when you come to do some proper design work down the track.
Alex_B
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Alex_B »

Thanks heaps for all the help.
I didn't want to do any damage by cutting too much in summer but if making some big chops is standard for maples then I will definitely cut it back quite a bit to get some new growth.
Paulneill
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Paulneill »

If it were mine i would get it grow for the remainder of the growing season and then cut it back leaving about a 6 inch stub at the end of winter.
then i would try and encourage multiple branches to grow long from different areas to add size thickness and taper to the trunk.
it would much faster to have 4 branches growing from a chopped stub than just one big long branch with the added benefit of adding taper and smaller cuts in the future. Imagine one big long branch has to thicken along its entire length . where as a 6 inch stub with 4 branches coming off it would thicken faster and more efficiently. also a few years in the ground somewhere sheltered wouldn't hurt.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Post by tgward »

are any grafted?

Return to “Deciduous”