Ginkgo

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Ginkgo

Post by Watto »

I recently posted a photo of an English elm with, in my opinion, orangeish coloured leaves. I think this Ginkgo also has orangeish coloured leaves and have noticed a few other deciduous plants in the garden are showing similar colours this season. I have no idea the reason but it is interesting.
Anyway, enough rubbish, here is the Ginkgo with its autumn colour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TimS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maple
Bonsai Age: 9
Bonsai Club: Waverly Bonsai Group

Re: Ginkgo

Post by TimS »

Lovely little tree Watto. :tu: I presume it's a dwarf cultivar with leaves that small?

My various ginkgos are just starting to change and are going to usual buttery yellow, no orange that i've noticed. I picked up a nursery stock fagus crenata just out of curiousity recently that has a little bit of orange on the way to brown, but certainly the ginkgos appear to be going totally yellow
In the blue darkening sky, the moon paints a pine tree.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Thanks Tim. It is my only ginkgo and I am not sure if its a dwarf or not, however the leaf size is quite small. Just waiting for the post leaf fall trim now and hopefully setting it for next season.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Post by Jan »

I am at 725m, 20 min from Goulburn, so similar climate, Watto. I have three Ginkos and, while they are from the same stock plant, one has lost its leaves, another with small leaves is butter yellow with a tinge of orange and the last and largest is lime green but getting yellow margins. Two of these plants have the larger leaves (though not as large as the parent tree) and the other has leaves half that size - it is also the one with the most confined root system. Maybe that is the reason?

Return to “Deciduous”