What’s happening with my crabapple and flowering peach?

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
sh4unn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 1

What’s happening with my crabapple and flowering peach?

Post by sh4unn »

Hi all,

Here is my crabapple and flowering peach - it’s my first proper winter with Bonsai and I’m quite concerned over the colour and loss of leaves on both
I repotted them several months ago and have been going well up until the last few weeks
The only thing I’ve changed is reducing watering to 2nd daily watering instead of daily
Thank you for any feedback or suggestions - edit - I’m in Brisbane

https://i.imgur.com/2h9btSF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/A0Agids.jpg
Last edited by sh4unn on June 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: What’s happening with my crabapple and flowering peach?

Post by shibui »

Welcome to Ausbonsai.
No mention of your location which will have a big bearing on what should be happening at any time of year.

Both peach and crab apple are deciduous which means they are supposed to lose leaves in winter. Provided you are in southern hemisphere losing leaves now is normal and all my deciduous trees look similar now.

Watering to a schedule is not the best way to manage bonsai or any other plants. Water according to needs. I'm only watering my trees now if there is no rain for a week or more but the best is to check the pots before water. If there is some moisture left skip the water for another day. Too wet for too long (weeks) can cause root problems.

I would normally root prune deciduous trees at the end of winter but if you did yours in summer and they have survived this long then all is OK.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sh4unn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sh4unn »

shibui wrote: June 6th, 2021, 2:10 pm Welcome to Ausbonsai.
No mention of your location which will have a big bearing on what should be happening at any time of year.

Both peach and crab apple are deciduous which means they are supposed to lose leaves in winter. Provided you are in southern hemisphere losing leaves now is normal and all my deciduous trees look similar now.

Watering to a schedule is not the best way to manage bonsai or any other plants. Water according to needs. I'm only watering my trees now if there is no rain for a week or more but the best is to check the pots before water. If there is some moisture left skip the water for another day. Too wet for too long (weeks) can cause root problems.

I would normally root prune deciduous trees at the end of winter but if you did yours in summer and they have survived this long then all is OK.
Thank you so much for your detailed reply, it’s made me feel better about them - I’m in Brisbane and thank you :)
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

No problem for any assistance.
If you intend to continue posting you should add that location to your profile so you don't need to remember to type it each time.

Brisbane is not really cold (which explains the leaves still on the crab) but your trees should still go through a natural 'winter' dormancy. All being well you should be able to enjoy the appearance of new shoots in 'spring'
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sh4unn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sh4unn »

shibui wrote: June 6th, 2021, 3:11 pm No problem for any assistance.
If you intend to continue posting you should add that location to your profile so you don't need to remember to type it each time.

Brisbane is not really cold (which explains the leaves still on the crab) but your trees should still go through a natural 'winter' dormancy. All being well you should be able to enjoy the appearance of new shoots in 'spring'
I’ve added it now, thank you :)
That’s what I’m very much most excited for I’ll repost I’m here once that all goes ahead

Return to “Deciduous”