Big ol' elm

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Big ol' elm

Post by Matt S »

Since I somehow managed to get the species wrong in the original post on this tree, I'll start again and add some updates.

So here's this English Elm I bought from Moongate nursery in Bendigo a few weeks ago:
E Elm Jun 21 front.JPG
E elm Jun 21 back.JPG
E Elm Jun 21 close.JPG

As predicted, it took me a couple of hours to remove all the wire! Then this morning I went over the whole tree, removing a few suckers and taking all the long shoots down to at least 2 buds.
E elm Jun 21 after trim 1.jpg

I then brushed off all the dirt, leaves and resident funnelweb from the hollow. The hollow starts at the top and extends to halfway down the trunk where it exits through the lowest hole. At this stage I don't know what I'll do with the shari.
E elm Jun 21 after trim 2.jpg
E elm Jun 21 after trim 3.jpg

I'll think about the outline of the foliage but at the moment I'm liking the placement of the main branches. The lower branches don't have much taper and are a bit thin so I may let some shoots grow unheeded as sacrifice branches. With so much tertiary branching I'm hoping the leaves are already reduced in size but I'll find out come spring. I'm thinking it won't be long before I put it in a bonsai pot to slow down the growth, so that's something else to think about over Winter.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Akhi
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Big ol' elm

Post by Akhi »

That’s really big tree, keen to see how this tree develops, the two hollows might make for a spooky elm :-)
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I’m not sure I like the part about the funnel web .... but I do like the tree. As mentioned - a big ‘ole spooky unit. Good pickup and I’ll enjoy watching this progress with your skilled hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I then brushed off all the dirt, leaves and resident funnelweb from the hollow.
Maybe a little bit of overreaction???? Funnelweb does not live at Bendigo but there are lots of other spiders that live in holes, very few anywhere near as dangerous as funnelweb spider.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Maybe a little bit of overreaction???? Funnelweb does not live at Bendigo but there are lots of other spiders that live in holes, very few anywhere near as dangerous as funnelweb spider.
There are over 30 species of funnel web spider in Australia and they're quite common in my backyard, luckily not as deadly as the Sydney funnel web. This one came crawling out as I was cleaning the hollow and is now living by the back shed. If the chooks don't find her she'll be fine!

Matt.

Return to “Deciduous”