Repotting of Swamp Cypress

Forum for discussion of Deciduous bonsai – Maples, Crabapple, Hornbeam, Elm species etc.
Ryanh
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 1

Repotting of Swamp Cypress

Post by Ryanh »

Hi Everybody,

Am very new to this forum but am hoping I am posting in the right area. Im also new to bonsai so am trying to sponge up as much as possible from all you experienced growers. I live on the Gold Coast and recently managed to find a swamp cypress about two weeks ago, its sitting at about 50cm high and was in a small pot. I decided that to give it the greatest opportunity to grow I would put it in a large shallow laundry tub (holes drilled for drainage) in a mixture of compost, pot mix, perlite and charcoal. I had to do some light root pruning as it was completely root bound and have kept it regularly watered but have found that some of the the leaves are going crispy/dying and Im worried its on its way to its bonsai maker :(. I also know that it looses some of its leaves during the winter but they are not turning red, instead a very dull crispy green and falling off. From what ive read, it looks like ive potted it at the wrong time and its probably going through shock so im hoping I haven't taken it too far. Is this the case and is it salvageable as this tree was very hard to find here on the coast! Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan (complete bonsai rookie)
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Repotting of Swamp Cypress

Post by shibui »

Swamp cypress are usually root pruned when they are dormant. I guess up there they still have some leaves but down here definitely all bare now
Normal autumn color for swamp cypress is just brown. No fancy reds and orange for Swampies so it is possible that you did yours just as it was ready to drop the leaves.
In any case deciduous trees under stress close to normal leaf drop will usually just go into early dormancy.
Rest assured that most trees are quite resilient and can cope with beginners.
I'm sure it will be a long winter for you waiting with fingers crossed and hoping the tree will grow again next spring but I think it should be OK.
Just water when it needs it and sit back to wait.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jxshkxng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Swamp cypress
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: Rochedale

Re: Repotting of Swamp Cypress

Post by Jxshkxng »

a couple of mine have dropped all their leaves too.. ..from the cold i imagine.. ..killing a swampy is nearly impossible. swamp cypress are my favourite species and if you wish to know more about them feel free to PM. cheers

Return to “Deciduous”